Blue Copper and Splash Copper Marans Discussion

Where's the like button???? LOL! The little blue is nice, and then I can't stop looking at the little splash too! The more I look a her, the more I fall in love with her!

Hello!
I recently got this little guy from Craigslist. He was described as a Cuckoo Maran, which obviously he is not. His mama and daddy were on property but I didn't get a good look at the dad other than to see a copper head poking out of the coop to give me dirty looks, haha. Mom was solid gray.
He's only 8 weeks old and the man I got him from said those copper feathers on his neck only started showing up the last week or so. He's also got feathered legs. My best guess is this guy is a Blue Copper Maran, but I guess he could just be a pretty mutt too :p Can anyone verify?

Hello! I recently got this little guy from Craigslist. He was described as a Cuckoo Maran, which obviously he is not. His mama and daddy were on property but I didn't get a good look at the dad other than to see a copper head poking out of the coop to give me dirty looks, haha. Mom was solid gray. He's only 8 weeks old and the man I got him from said those copper feathers on his neck only started showing up the last week or so. He's also got feathered legs. My best guess is this guy is a Blue Copper Maran, but I guess he could just be a pretty mutt too :p Can anyone verify?
You are right, he is obviously not a Cuckoo. Does look to be a Blue Copper, but since you were told he was suppose to be Cuckoo, I would be questioning what he is. My guess is the seller does not know that what they have is not Cuckoos. And, he looks a lot older than 8 weeks, his comb and wattles are pretty dang big for an 8 week old. My 5.5 month old cockerels just now have combs and wattles that size.

Last edited:
I agree, I think it was a case of them not knowing what they had, he kept calling him a cuckoo when I was there. He could even have been off on the age, the chickens belonged to his tween-aged daughters and I think they were just pets.
He was free, he needed a new home since his rooster was starting to beat up on him. The poor little girl cried when she handed him over, she hatched him herself. It was all very emotional but I'll tell you he is the sweetest chicken we have since he was handled so much!

Here's my big boy:

He's not physically perfect but his temperament is exceptional.
I have two Blue Copper Marans roosters right now and only need one, I am trying to re-home one but I need a keep the rooster with a great temperament how do I determine at their age (almost 3 months) which one I should keep? They are almost identical but is their something specific I should be looking for?

my blue copper roo is the friendliest one i have.
I ended up with two roos in my straight run purchase...I am currently looking to re-home one on craigslist if I can. My question is which one should I keep? I need a mild mannered roo, what can I do now with each of them to determine if he will be mild mannered? My luck I'll end up getting rid of the one that is sweet? Just like I always end up with more roos than hens!

I ended up with two roos in my straight run purchase...I am currently looking to re-home one on craigslist if I can. My question is which one should I keep? I need a mild mannered roo, what can I do now with each of them to determine if he will be mild mannered? My luck I'll end up getting rid of the one that is sweet? Just like I always end up with more roos than hens!
Better keep both ... one as backup . We never know with chickens and predators .

Back
Top Bottom