Blue Copper and Splash Copper Marans Discussion

Ok, my last post on the subject. If you are tackling this without a strong genetic background- I think you are doing quit well.

A male marans could carry only one melanotic Ml and appear close to the normal plumage color. In females that is not the case- females can carry one melanotic and will be near black or black. You do not want melanotic in the breed at all. If melanotic is a part of the breed's genetic makeup- you will be having problems with hatching out black females and occasionally black males. Read post 1816 above

I have a degree in biology and have carried out research at the university level. I have studied chicken genetics and analyzed chicken genetics papers for 15 years. I have carried out my own research in chicken genetics and have worked with a university professor on the subject. I am not some guy who just guesses at things, I get my information from my own work with chickens and the research I have studied.

I also helped breeders produce new varieties of Marans.

I read the standard for male black coppers. If they want spangling in the breast of the black copper then they do carry mahoganey. But this will present a problem in the females with too much red on the body.
Thank you! I'm glad to hear I'm doing good, despite my limitations
lol.png

That makes sense about the males and females...
Thank you so much for bearing with me, I think through all this discussion I've really learned quite a bit!!
I'm sure, since my questions are never ending, and I keep getting confused, this is straining to the nerves
smack.gif
so I thank you for dealing with me
wink.png

So the Blues should b bred back to a black...

And the splash to a splash?

I'm sorry I'm so ignorant

Atakiowa,

Here is the breeding combinations / results for blacks, blues and splash:

Black x Black = 100% Black
Black x Blue = 50% Black, 50% Blue
Black x Splash = 100% Blue
Blue x Blue = 50% Blue, 25% Black, 25% Splash. (As Chooks Man said, Blues do not breed true - they need the black to keep the deep rich blue coloring. Think of it as the difference between new blue jeans and faded blue jeans).
Blue x Splash = 50% Blue, 50% Splash
Splash x Splash = 100% Splash

Remember that color is just one component in breeding - to breed quality chooks you need to understand the SOP (Standard of Perfection) for the breeds you are raising so that you can match roosters and hens to correct faults in the parent stock. Visit the International Black Copper Marans Thread - lots of good posts on breeding Marans. Marans are a French Breed so we refer to the French SOP on the International thread but if you want to show birds in the US you will need to refer to the US SOP.

Good Luck,
Keith

OMG!! These 3 don't have feathers on their feet...What does that mean?

What do u think this little guy is?

pic of all the babies...

i hope i get this right..

yellow kids r splash
light ones r blues
dark ones r blues? blacks?
it looks like there r 2 blacks...

and then the 1 yellow with dark on his back...pic is above...

thanks for the help!!!

OMG!! These 3 don't have feathers on their feet...What does that mean?

I believe that the ones without feathered legs were not bred to be to the french standard but the american? Hopefully someone will confirm this...

What do u think this little guy is?

I think maybe a wheaton. Hopefully someone will confirm this...

pic of all the babies...

i hope i get this right..

yellow kids r splash Yes, I believe so.
light ones r blues Yes, grey/lighter ones would be blues.
dark ones r blues? blacks? I believe the darker ones would be blacks, though some could surprise and be blue possibly. Hopefully someone will confirm...
it looks like there r 2 blacks... The two very dark ones are for sure blacks.

and then the 1 yellow with dark on his back...pic is above...

thanks for the help!!!
very cute! Looks like a great hatch, congrats.
thumbsup.gif

Thx so much for confirming what I thot as well...

Now help me understand wheaton please... Not sure where a wheaton fits in...

I definitely want to get rid of the non-feathered legs as it will contaminate my French... Is that correct?

I will definitely b watching them grow and hopefully get more knowledge in time

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom