Blue Copper and Splash Copper Marans Discussion

Thx so much for confirming what I thot as well...

Now help me understand wheaton please... Not sure where a wheaton fits in...

I definitely want to get rid of the non-feathered legs as it will contaminate my French... Is that correct?

I will definitely b watching them grow and hopefully get more knowledge in time
The plumage color of a chicken is determined by the genes on the chromosomes of the birds. There are two major places on the chromosomes that determine the basic color of a bird. A place on a chromosome is called a locus. There is the extension locus and the sex-linked silver locus- these two loci determine the basic color of a chicken. At the extension locus , there are different alleles that can occupy the locus. Alleles are genes that are similar in structure that can be found at the same locus. Even though the alleles are similar in structure- the disparity can cause minor differences or major differences in color. A chromosome normally carries one allele per locus and since chromosomes are normally found in pairs- to keep things simple lets say it takes two alleles to cause a trait (plumage color) to be expressed.

The wheaten plumage color pattern is a basic color pattern. The wheaten allele is one of the alleles that is found at the extension locus. Wheaten birds should carry two wheaten alleles, Over the years, researchers thought there was a dominant wheaten allele and a recessive wheaten allele at the extension locus. When the structure of each allele was examined- it was determined that both alleles were the exact same structure. The scientists decided that there is another piece of DNA that is causing one to be recessive and another to be dominant. But to keep things simple lets say marans are dominant wheaten. Dominant wheaten roosters have a basic male plumage color pattern referred to as black breasted red. The problem with males is that other alleles at the extension locus also cause males to be black-breasted red. Do an internet search and compare a male light brown leghorn and a wheaten marans rooster. In the females plumage color is where the main differences can be seen between the color plumages produced by the alleles. Go on line and compare light brown leghorn females and wheaten females.

The red in the wheaten rooster is caused by the sex-linked gold allele. Earlier, I posted that there was the sex-linked silver locus- there are two common alleles found at this locus, one is silver the other is gold. Gold is recessive to silver, The sex chromosomes in male chickens are paired but females are different and only carry one of the chromosomes that the males carries. A female wheaten will carry one gold allele ( one chromosome) at the silver locus and males will carry two gold alleles (two chromosomes) at the silver locus.

Chickens can carry wheaten at the extension locus and also carry sex-linked silver- they would be called silver wheaten.

There are other genes that act upon the Extension locus and sex-linked silver locus to cause other plumage color patterns.

Last edited:
Thx souch for the education... I'm definitely going to have to study that further... Now, do I want a wheaton in my batch of Marans?

When the structure of each allele was examined- it was determined that both alleles were the exact same structure. The scientists decided that there is another piece of DNA that is causing one to be recessive and another to be dominant. But to keep things simple lets say marans are dominant wheaten. Dominant wheaten roosters have a basic male plumage color pattern referred to as black breasted red. The problem with males is that other alleles at the extension locus also cause males to be black-breasted red.

The red in the wheaten rooster is caused by the sex-linked gold allele. Earlier, I posted that there was the sex-linked silver locus- there are two common alleles found at this locus, one is silver the other is gold. Gold is recessive to silver, The sex chromosomes in male chickens are paired but females are different and only carry one of the chromosomes that the males carries. A female wheaten will carry one gold allele ( one chromosome) at the silver locus and males will carry two gold alleles (two chromosomes) at the silver locus.

Chickens can carry wheaten at the extension locus and also carry sex-linked silver- they would be called silver wheaten.

There are other genes that act upon the Extension locus and sex-linked silver locus to cause other plumage color patterns.
how interesting! Good info, thanks Wappoke.
ya.gif

If one bred a birchen rooster (Er/Er) with a wheaton hen (eWh/ -) (<--correct for a hen? or is it eWh/eWh) ) , will the birchen always be dominant? Or will there be a small percentage of wheaton coming through?
If you had a eWh roo over a birchen hen, there would be more wheaton coming through then, correct?

Thanks.
big_smile.png
(i'll try to refrain from too many other questionings...
hide.gif
lol )

how interesting! Good info, thanks Wappoke.
ya.gif

If one bred a birchen rooster (Er/Er) with a wheaton hen (eWh/ -) (<--correct for a hen? or is it eWh/eWh) ) , will the birchen always be dominant? Or will there be a small percentage of wheaton coming through?
If you had a eWh roo over a birchen hen, there would be more wheaton coming through then, correct?

Thanks.
big_smile.png
(i'll try to refrain from too many other questionings...
hide.gif
lol )
Sex linked genes are the genes that have two in males and one in females. The extension locus (wheaten, birchen, etc) is not on a sex chromosome- not sex-linked. The birchen allele is normally dominant. Birchen/ wheaten females should look very much like a birchen/birchen females. Does not make any difference which is male or female in the cross. I have read some research on birchen wheaten crosses but can not remember the conclusions concerning the research. I actually wrote a paper on the E locus crosses- if I can find the paper I will post more information- but do not count on me finding the paper.

Sex linked genes are the genes that have two in males and one in females. The extension locus (wheaten, birchen, etc) is not on a sex chromosome- not sex-linked. The birchen allele is normally dominant. Birchen/ wheaten females should look very much like a birchen/birchen females. Does not make any difference which is male or female in the cross. I have read some research on birchen wheaten crosses but can not remember the conclusions concerning the research. I actually wrote a paper on the E locus crosses- if I can find the paper I will post more information- but do not count on me finding the paper.
thanks! all these locus and alleles can get confusing, nice to have the clarification (again i'm sure
roll.png
)

I got may first eggs (ever) from my two 7 month old pullets a month ago,
Bella (blue copper marans) and Lynn (blue laced red wyandotte), a week ago Steph (blue copper marans) joined the party at six month
I dont have proper images... will take care of that.
in the egg pic, Steph is the upper row, the middle is Bella, and then Lynn for reference.
I love Steph egg color, started thinking about breeding her. any suggestions will be welcomed

. Bella

Lynn and Steph

Bella and Steph in the back

Last edited:
yeah you welcome to post i ll comment in it ,no worries .

Always breed a blue to a black to get a great body color result .

i love to see your choks .post a photos of the parent too .so I can see what are they doing ?

chooks man

Hi Chooks sorry for delay in responding to my request. I would greatly appreciate your opinion on some of my Copper Marian's for breeding purposes. You are very thoughtful. I'm attempting to load 3 images of same cockerel from different angles. What are your thoughts on his colors and breeding to standard potential and what areas need to work on. I will send my other rooster photos and hens too. Just trying to get decent shots. They are in perpetual motion. He's more colorful than two others but he is smaller.
[/IMG] thank you!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom