Blue Copper Maran Chicks, 4-5 weeks old

MsMonicaMc

Hatching
Mar 19, 2016
Pullets or Cockrells?? My mind changes everytime I look at them. Can anyone please help sex them? Any guesses? I'm new to this breed...... Thank you!!!!!
[/IMG][/IMG]

welcome-byc.gif

They are still very young and it's impossible to know for sure as of now. But, I will say that comb is looking pretty suspicious...

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with the breed but, I didn't think they have feathered legs. Some one else coming along will probably know for sure.

welcome-byc.gif

I'm thinking pullets. The Marans cockerels I've seen here telecast pretty early. But, update us in a few weeks so we can see how things look?

I think you've got pullets. See my BCM hatch below to see what a male looks like against females at about 4 to 5 weeks of age.

And yes, French Marans have feathered legs...properly feathered is outside of leg down outside toe. Only American Marans are not feathered leg. The French lay the darker eggs.

So, right now, I think you've got 2 FBCM females...watch the top one....if that is male, that comb will really take off in the next week. (I knew roo with FBCM at 2 weeks...it was that noticeable). But some of the girls will be a bit precocious with comb size, but will remain pale yellow until POL. The males will get large yellow combs, often by 2 or 3 weeks of age, then turn red by 6 weeks of age.

LofMc

I think you've got pullets. See my BCM hatch below to see what a male looks like against females at about 4 to 5 weeks of age.

And yes, French Marans have feathered legs...properly feathered is outside of leg down outside toe. Only American Marans are not feathered leg. The French lay the darker eggs.

So, right now, I think you've got 2 FBCM females...watch the top one....if that is male, that comb will really take off in the next week. (I knew roo with FBCM at 2 weeks...it was that noticeable). But some of the girls will be a bit precocious with comb size, but will remain pale yellow until POL. The males will get large yellow combs, often by 2 or 3 weeks of age, then turn red by 6 weeks of age.

LofMc
do u have a pic of ur hatch?

Back
Top Bottom