Blue Copper Maran Crosses

Maleficent265

Songster
Jan 8, 2018
I’ve got a couple Blue copper maran roosters and was wondering what are some fun crosses I can do with my flock? I know I can make olive eggers but was wondering what else.

My roster includes:

Ameruacanas
Easter eggers
Rhodesia island reds
Barred and white Plymouth rocks
White and pearl star Leghorns
Lavender and buff orpingtons
Australorps
Black sex links
Lakenvelders
Isa browns
Ayam cemanis

I think that’s all?? I’ll add on if I’d forgotten a breed but... or if there’s any other breeds out there I can cross with my blue coppers I’ll go out and hunt it down for my flock. Was just looking for something I can hatch... maybe sell? I’m just curious! Thanks guys!

also if you’ve got any crosses with blue coopers, I’d love pictures! I think crosses are underrated and beautiful!!

I’m in the same boat as you! Currently, my incubator is filled with eggs from:
Black Copper Marans
Red Turken Naked Necks
F2 Blue copper Olive Egger
and white leghorn
All covered by my Blue Copper Marans Roo. This is my first incubation experience and I’m really not sure what to expect but super excited to find out. First round of hatches start next week.

I’ve got a couple Blue copper maran roosters and was wondering what are some fun crosses I can do with my flock? I know I can make olive eggers but was wondering what else.

My roster includes:

Ameruacanas
Easter eggers
Rhodesia island reds
Barred and white Plymouth rocks
White and pearl star Leghorns
Lavender and buff orpingtons
Australorps
Black sex links
Lakenvelders
Isa browns
Ayam cemanis

I think that’s all?? I’ll add on if I’d forgotten a breed but... or if there’s any other breeds out there I can cross with my blue coppers I’ll go out and hunt it down for my flock. Was just looking for something I can hatch... maybe sell? I’m just curious! Thanks guys!

also if you’ve got any crosses with blue coopers, I’d love pictures! I think crosses are underrated and beautiful!!
What do you mean by “fun crosses”? Most of those crosses will result in blues and blacks with leakage. You could make black sex links with the barred rocks and could get some partially melanistic chicks from the ayam cemani.

I like the cemani idea too. I hatch all kinds of cemani crosses off of my mixed flock run by Mr. ROO. Got a pretty hen off him and a barred rock hen. 20210115_170456.jpg

Maybe one day I'll get my hands on a blue copper maran. I can dream!!!

Personally, I loooove Easter Eggers, and the blue/copper coloration. I'd probably cross EEs with the BCM Roo to get a lovely variety of colors and types. EEs are very random with color genetics, hence all the fun possibilities.
If you want something more solid and predictable, I'd cross with Ameracauna.
This is all if you were to breed for an olive egger and only cared about looks.

Here we are constantly hatching barnyard mixed chicks, (from pure bred parents, other mixes and EEs) and all the unique colors and variety has been my obsession. You never know what to expect sometimes.

Sounds like a fun thing :)

My first F3 Olive egger
DC6024DA-1192-4C77-9295-DE496241EAA1.jpeg

This little one is a Turken Naked Neck that was bred to my F2 Olive Egger Roo. Hence, the muffs. Some have feathered feet too with beards and muffs but with naked necks. I also had turkens crossed with my Marans. Turned out with blue, black, feathered necks and feet with red leakage in their wing feathers.
40DEDBFF-6236-47C2-9515-C0B3A48B98FC.jpeg

My first F3 Olive eggerView attachment 2610304

This little one is a Turken Naked Neck that was bred to my F2 Olive Egger Roo. Hence, the muffs. Some have feathered feet too with beards and muffs but with naked necks. I also had turkens crossed with my Marans. Turned out with blue, black, feathered necks and feet with red leakage in their wing feathers.
View attachment 2610307
Gosh that first chick looks perfect!!!!

My first F3 Olive eggerView attachment 2610304

View attachment 2610307
Do you happen to have updated pics of them fully grown?

Back
Top Bottom