Blue copper Maran roo x Silver Laced Wyandotte hen - sex link?

Zombre23

Hatching
Oct 4, 2023
Hello it’s me again - trying to understand chicken genetics!

Would crossing a blue copper maran rooster with a silver laced wyandotte create a sex linked chick?

Thanks in advance!

Would crossing a blue copper maran rooster with a silver laced wyandotte create a sex linked chick?

Thanks in advance!
I'm not completely sure about this but I think it would create a red sex link. However I might be completely wrong.

Thanks in advance!
Welcome to BYC! :frow

I don't believe those will sex link at hatch.. the blue copper will be black or blue at hatch with white underbelly and face markings.. so the silver won't be inhibiting any red/gold AT HATCH if that's what you were thinking at least according to my current understanding and recollection. I don't see any sex linked barring or skin color going on in that cross either.. so I'm sticking with no.

I'm no expert.

Now, in the adults will the silver inhibit the copper on males.. that I'm not sure.. but the copper color doesn't start coming on males until around 4 weeks in my prior Marans hatching experience.

Thanks in advance!
I put a response to this in your other thread, since it came up there too:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...en-buff-x-silver-laced-wyandotte-hen.1600488/

Short answer: the gold/silver part should work just fine, but there may be enough black in the chicks that you cannot see whether they have gold vs. silver. (I see some other people in this thread already said pretty much the same thing :) )

Back
Top Bottom