Sex linked red rooster (golden buff) x silver laced Wyandotte hen

Zombre23

Hatching
Oct 4, 2023
Good morning!

If I cross a golden buff rooster that comes from a sex linked cross (likely a RIR cross) with one of my silver laced Wyandottes will their offspring be sex linked in appearance?

Thanks !

If I cross a golden buff rooster that comes from a sex linked cross (likely a RIR cross) with one of my silver laced Wyandottes will their offspring be sex linked in appearance?
You will not be able to sex the chicks by color.

But some of the chicks will have the same coloring as their father, so they would be like him in "appearance."

You will not be able to sex the chicks by color.

But some of the chicks will have the same coloring as their father, so they would be like him in "appearance."
Gotcha, thanks! What if we crossed our blue copper Maran with a silver laced Wyandotte? Would that produce a sex link?

Chicken genetics … I am still new and learning!

Gotcha, thanks! What if we crossed our blue copper Maran with a silver laced Wyandotte? Would that produce a sex link?
Yes, it should. The daughters should be gold, the sons silver. But they might have so much black that you can't see the gold/silver differences when they hatch.

Chicken genetics … I am still new and learning!
Here's the basic idea of how the genetics of sexlinks work:

--A roosters has sex chromosomes ZZ. He inherits one Z from each parent, and gives one to each chick.

--A hen has sex chromosomes ZW. She inherits Z from her father and gives it to her sons. She inherits W from her mother and gives it to her daughters.

--Sexlinks are made by using genes on the Z sex chromosome. Gold/Silver is the one you are working with. Barring, chocolate, and slow feathering are other genes that can be used to produce sexlinks.

--To produce sexlinks, the father must show the recessive gene. For your project, that means he needs to have the gold gene. Blue Copper Marans does that. The mother must have the dominant gene (Silver, found in your Silver Laced Wyandotte hen.)

--When they produce chicks, the sons inherit the recessive gold gene from the father, and the dominant silver gene from the mother. So the sons show the dominant gene (silver.) The daughters inherit the recessive gold gene from the father, and the W chromosome from the mother that makes them female. So the daughters show the recessive gene (gold.) That makes them easy to sex (silver males, gold females), as long as you can see the gold/silver color (too much black on the chick can interfere with this.)

--Because the sons have both the gold gene and the silver gene, they often show some amount of gold or red leakage as they grow up, especially in their shoulders (your Golden Buff probably has this.) A male with both the gold gene and the silver gene is not right for producing another generation of sexlinks, because he can give either gold or silver to any chick, regardless of whether they are male or female.

--To breed sexlinks with any of the other genes, you just need a male who shows the recessive gene (which makes it impossible for him to be carrying the dominant gene: if he had it, he would show it instead). And you need a female who shows the dominant gene (because she only has one Z chromosome, she cannot carry any other gene, so there is no worry about her having the wrong gene for the purpose.)
Barring is dominant over not-barred
Not-chocolate is dominant over chocolate
Slow feathering is dominant over fast-feathering (this produces feather-sexable chicks)

Back
Top Bottom