Red sex link ameraucana

Dillon4Christ

In the Brooder
Mar 19, 2024
So I understand it's not SOP but I'm wanting to make a red sex link ameraucana using the gold and silver genes. I've learned and black sex link ameraucanas and love them and would like to make blue egg laying red sex links. Which ameraucana rooster with which ameraucana hen will give me the results I'm looking for? I'm guessing wheaton roo over silver hen but would like to know other people's thoughts and ideas. Thank you.

So I understand it's not SOP but I'm wanting to make a red sex link ameraucana using the gold and silver genes. I've learned and black sex link ameraucanas and love them and would like to make blue egg laying red sex links. Which ameraucana rooster with which ameraucana hen will give me the results I'm looking for? I'm guessing wheaton roo over silver hen but would like to know other people's thoughts and ideas. Thank you.
Yes, a Wheaten Ameraucana rooster over a Silver Ameraucana hen will probably work.

I don't know if there are any other silver-based Ameraucana varieties, so that may be your only option for the hen.

For the rooster, Buff or Brown Red might also work. Buff might be too light to easily distinguish the gold vs. silver chicks, and Brown Red might make too much black in the chick down so you can't see which have gold vs. silver, so I think Wheaten is probably your best choice.

Blue Wheaten should work just as well as normal Wheaten, if you want to change it up a little bit. Or maybe use a Splash Wheaten rooster, to get sons and daughters that all show blue instead of black in their patterning.

Yes, a Wheaten Ameraucana rooster over a Silver Ameraucana hen will probably work.

I don't know if there are any other silver-based Ameraucana varieties, so that may be your only option for the hen.

For the rooster, Buff or Brown Red might also work. Buff might be too light to easily distinguish the gold vs. silver chicks, and Brown Red might make too much black in the chick down so you can't see which have gold vs. silver, so I think Wheaten is probably your best choice.

Blue Wheaten should work just as well as normal Wheaten, if you want to change it up a little bit. Or maybe use a Splash Wheaten rooster, to get sons and daughters that all show blue instead of black in their patterning.
Thank you! I appreciate your time and quick response! I didn't know about the splash and blue wheaten so thank you for that also.

Thank you! I appreciate your time and quick response! I didn't know about the splash and blue wheaten so thank you for that also.
I'm not good at remembering which breeds come in which varieties, so I looked at the American Poultry Association list to see which ones do exist ;)

https://amerpoultryassn.com/accepted-breeds-varieties/
(Select "Ameraucana" in the breed box, to avoid picking through the hundreds of other options.)

I'm not good at remembering which breeds come in which varieties, so I looked at the American Poultry Association list to see which ones do exist ;)

(Select "Ameraucana" in the breed box, to avoid picking through the hundreds of other options.

(Select "Ameraucana" in the breed box, to avoid picking through the hundreds of other options.)
I didn't know that either, thank you. Are there any reputable hatcheries or breeders where I can find the Ameracaunas I'm looking for at an affordable price?

Back
Top Bottom