Reliability of distinguishing black sex link chicks

puddleglumWI

Chirping
Feb 3, 2023
Eastern WI - almost to the Lake
Hi all,

I would like to have a flock that produces sex linked chicks, but probably will stay away from RIR roos, as they are more likely to be feisty.

I was thinking Barred Rock hens and a Black Australorp rooster. In theory, this should be easy to distinguish the chicks' sex, but I have read some people saying they had trouble distinguishing black sex link chicks.

Are black sex link chicks actually hard to tell apart?
Could some of the people having trouble be dealing with muddy genetics?
Are there certain combinations that will be easier to distinguish?

Thank you,
-pg

Are black sex link chicks actually hard to tell apart?
Any barred hen.. can include cuckoo Marans, or barred rock, and even crested cream Legbars and Welbar.. are barred. They are easy to tell.. if you don't have other layers or roosters in your flock that might have accidentally been collected or hatched from. This is definitely one way many folks deal with "muddy" genetics.

They're EASY to tell at hatch.. no females will have the white spot on their heads. I've had 100% accuracy.

Black (or blue) copper Marans roosters.. have been a nice cross to use.. known as dominant copper.. And I've had great success both with sex linking and also demeanor. I don't prefer the feathered legs in my current set up. They do pass their egg color onto their daughters.

I personally would stay away from any barred, or laced, or mottled/jubilee/mili fleur roosters, maybe silver penciled also, for ease of head spotting. Stay away from any that hatches light before turning dark.. like Salmon Faverollles or wheaten anything. Buff may be doable.. but won't likely be as easy to see the head spot. Although laced and mottled may hatch regular looking (especially with the right colors).. and be doable.. I'm just not sure about the "ease".

Splash colored roosters are an exception (to light color at hatch and maturity) that does also work.. giving 100% solid blue females (no head spot) and 100% blue barred males with head spot at hatch.

There are also some nice auto-sexing breeds to.

Australorp wouldn't be my first choice.. since I like to play with egg color and other things.. but would definitely work well. Ameraucana (true) have also been pretty good for me.

ETA: one main issue with sex linking is you can't use the offspring to replenish your stock and have future generations sex linked also. Auto-sexing.. allows for replenishment.

Hopefully a more skilled genetic enthusiast will confirm or correct my statements.

Last edited:
Any barred hen.. can include cuckoo Marans, or barred rock, and even crested cream Legbars and Welbar.. are barred. They are easy to tell.. if you don't have other layers or roosters in your flock that might have accidentally been collected or hatched from. This is definitely one way many folks deal with "muddy" genetics.

They're EASY to tell at hatch.. no females will have the white spot on their heads. I've had 100% accuracy.

Splash colored roosters are an exception (to light color at hatch and maturity) that does also work.. giving 100% solid blue females (no head spot) and 100% blue barred males with head spot at hatch.

Thanks for the input. Very helpful.

I am thinking I would stick to just Barred Rock hens, and only one roo, so no confusion about parentage. I also wouldn't be planning to add any of the offspring to the flock, for the same reason. This is the initial plan at least, keep the sexing of the young easy.

If I find I have trouble finding buyers for the female chicks, or we cool on the idea of raising some meat birds each year, then I could instead start adding some young to maintain the flock, since I would no longer be interested in maintaining the easy sexing of the chicks.

The fact that a Blue Australorp could be used is interesting. Would the females grow up to look pretty much like female Blue Australorps, or would they have some other coloring around their necks? And the males would look like a barred rock, but blue instead of black barring? Might make them a little more interesting when trying to sell the chicks.

The fact that a Blue Australorp could be used is interesting. Would the females grow up to look pretty much like female Blue Australorps, or would they have some other coloring around their necks? And the males would look like a barred rock, but blue instead of black barring? Might make them a little more interesting when trying to sell the chicks.
Yes, Blue Australorp (or Orpington, etc) rooster over barred hens will throw 50/50.. black/blue.. barred boys and solid girls (both genders get both colors).. and yes.. way more interesting to buy/sell, at least in my eyes.

There would be no color around their necks from a solid rooster. The only exception being any recessive genes, which both sire and dame would have to carry to express.. not sure how likely that is, not extremely I wouldn't think.

I *might* go for Orp if I was planning to eat the boys.. but I have harvested bantam boys and Leghorn too (less worth my effort). I might also get more than one at least to start as a back up, since things happen.. including illness, accidents, predators, demeanor etc.. also, if you're planning to harvest, it's a good chance for some practice.. keep the best one(s) and eat or sell the rest.. if you're able AND that makes sense to you.

Best wishes and happy adventures! :wee

I am thinking get 6-12 females (how ambitious am I, really?) and three males. The males will be named Sausage, Meatball, and Dumpling. Ideally I keep the one that grows the fastest, but if he turns out to be a jerk, he lives up to his name, and number two takes over. Probably just one rooster ultimately, although I could build a section on to my coop to keep a spare roo in. I will see.

Back
Top Bottom