Blue Laced Red Wyandotte-saddle feathers?

Ash56

Chirping
Premium Feather Member
Jun 20, 2023
San Antonio
These two are almost 5 months old. I have always thought the one I am now questioning was a hen because compared to her (seemingly) twin brother, she looks so dainty. But..she has saddle feathers? Is this saddle feathers I am seeing or something else lol. Because if she is a now a he we will have to change her name. Her brother is named Goose, thanks to my sister. The smaller one, well her name is….Girl Goose 🤣

Anyway, they were both born on the same day and they are almost 5 months old. And when comparing them to each other you would think Girl Goose is a girl but she also has a long tail feather that is incredibly suspicious. Opinions 🤔 are Wyandottes just weird and hard to tell? The pictures are from yesterday and the top is Goose (a crowing, hen-mounting cockerel)and the bottom is Girl on both. I have plenty more pictures if anyone wants them. Thank you!

Attachments

• 9234116D-4FF0-4067-862F-59E8D6D1F7B2.jpeg
    9234116D-4FF0-4067-862F-59E8D6D1F7B2.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 99
  • 4F27C566-F38D-4989-A050-BA1C49A09A90.jpeg
    4F27C566-F38D-4989-A050-BA1C49A09A90.jpeg
    967.7 KB · Views: 35
Just some more pictures of her. I know Goose is a boy, just added those for comparison 😁
IMG_5567.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5569.jpeg
    IMG_5569.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_5568.jpeg
    IMG_5568.jpeg
    362.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_5597.jpeg
    IMG_5597.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_5598.jpeg
    IMG_5598.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 31
Girl goose needs a new name. “She” is a male. Sometimes a male doesn’t act so male when another male is around acting obviously like a male. Some mature more slowly. Maybe it’s also bc they’ve been around each other since they were hatched.

I agree Girl Goose is a boy. I also think both of your geese are not pure BLR Wyandottes. They look more Blue than BLR.

I agree Girl Goose is a boy. I also think both of your geese are not pure BLR Wyandottes. They look more Blue than BLR.
I thought the same for a while but I think they are pure bred now. Idk why but the BLRW this woman breeds are extremely slow to get lacing. I will share a pic of dad and mom later. Goose just now has begun getting red on his wings.. I’ll also get a good picture of that as well. They’re molting too. They could still be mixed but i do trust the lady so if they are mixed i know it wasn’t intentional. One of the Wyandottes we hatched came out black! And she is their sister.

I thought the same for a while but I think they are pure bred now. Idk why but the BLRW this woman breeds are extremely slow to get lacing. I will share a pic of dad and mom later. Goose just now has begun getting red on his wings.. I’ll also get a good picture of that as well. They’re molting too. They could still be mixed but i do trust the lady so if they are mixed i know it wasn’t intentional. One of the Wyandottes we hatched came out black! And she is their sister.
Dad and mom

Attachments

• IMG_9433.jpeg
    IMG_9433.jpeg
    271.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_9435.jpeg
    IMG_9435.jpeg
    269.7 KB · Views: 19
This is their sister. I don’t have any recent pictures of her but she looks just like mom

Attachments

• IMG_1403.jpeg
    IMG_1403.jpeg
    313.8 KB · Views: 26
😩😭 it’s a sad realization that all but one of the Wyandotte eggs we bought turned out to be boys lol. We can’t keep “Girl” Goose now because we already have a head rooster and Goose was going to be number 2. 😤
You could keep a second male, if you really wanted. Just gotta make sure you have enough ladies for both.

Back
Top Bottom