Blue Mottled Turkeys

I have 10 black mottled poults coming this spring, basing my breeding off of that. (Thanks for the link though, I'll definitely keep it in mind) I was wondering how I would go about creating a new line of blue mottleds from scratch? How do these genetics work? Would I be breeding Mottleds into slates, blue palms, etc to make these? How many generations did you breed to attain the desired look? Thanks

WoW
Those are beautiful birds.
Did you just hand pick blue slates with unique markings for the breeding program?

I just inquired a mating pair of blue mottled turkeys. My daughter does 4h and she is doing turkeys as a project. They are beautiful!!! I hope all works out. I just bought her an incubator for them.

If you breed a blue mottled tom turkey with blue slate hens, what colors do you think you will get? I've been I could get many colors including blue slates, black Spanish, blue mottled, black mottled, blue palm, royal palm. I was wondering if all of these colors will be thrown or if I will get less colors than that because that would be a lot of poult sorting.

Mottled Slate

Tom = Bb1 or Bb, cgcg, Dd, nn hen = Bb1 or Bb, cgcg, Dd, n-

Possible outcomes

12.5% - Barred Self Blue Gray Narragansett
12.5% - Blue Palm
6.25% - Lavender Palm
6.25% - Marbled Black
12.5% - Marbled Slate
12.5% - Mottled Black
25% - Mottled Slate
6.25% - Royal Palm
6.25% - Self Blue Gray Narragansett

Because the Mottled Slates are heterozygous in their color genes they can never be developed into a variety that will breed true to color.

Their original parentage appears to go back to Blue Slate (BB, CC, Dd) and Royal Palm (b1b1, cgcg, dd, nn or n-).

Results predicted by using Porter's Turkey Color Calculator.

Last edited:
chickgonecrazy, i am in ohio too. Brown county. I recently got a hen like this and put she started laying the next day. She was with a tom that looked like her. I will be putting my bourbon red over her at some point. If you get any eggs from yours i would like to buy some poults in hopes of getting an unrelated tom.

Back
Top Bottom