Blue or Lavender?

He is an easter egger, that is all I know I'm afriad. I bought him, his sister, and another guy, as three lavender orpington pullets. I was suspicious when I recieved them that they were boys but the lady insisted they were girls... should have gone with my gut. They are also very clearly not lavender orpingtons. His sister from the same batch is an obvious EE so I can figure out what he is, unfortunatly I don't know what their parents are.
It can be hard to sort out at times. Good luck! :)

Wow, this is so fascinating. I have some silkie chicks. Dad was splash, mom was probably black but possibly buff. Most of the chicks are a dark grey color, I assume they'll be blue. One chick is light gray, a silver color. I've been trying to figure out what she is and how that happened. Maybe she's a lavender? Is that possible?

Wow, this is so fascinating. I have some silkie chicks. Dad was splash, mom was probably black but possibly buff. Most of the chicks are a dark grey color, I assume they'll be blue. One chick is light gray, a silver color. I've been trying to figure out what she is and how that happened. Maybe she's a lavender? Is that possible?
If they are all from the same batch she is probably blue, my understanding is black x splash will produce all blue, but if it's blue x blue it will produce 50% blue 25% splash and 25% black

The lighter chick is likely either a lighter blue or a splash. They develop their spots later, born either white or silvery color. Often confused with lavender. I have done it myself!😊

Oh! I just thought of another question I have. Would it be correct to say lavender is a dilutent of black? I know it can dilute other colors like buff, and you get like a light creamy color but the standard lavender is when you have homozygous lavender genes present on a black bird correct? Lavender is also only present when homozygous right, so it will only be visible if you breed either split lavenders or full lavenders. split x lavender=50% lav 50% split, split x split=50% splint 25% black 25% lav, and lav x lav = lav. or can you get lavender from other mixes too, no right? Sorry if this is confusing, I kniw my question in my head, but hard to get it down on paper.... or in this case typing.

If they are all from the same batch she is probably blue, my understanding is black x splash will produce all blue, but if it's blue x blue it will produce 50% blue 25% splash and 25% black

She's much lighter but maybe that's normal?

Attachments

• PXL_20201201_221749217.jpg
    PXL_20201201_221749217.jpg
    406.8 KB · Views: 4
She's much lighter but maybe that's normal?
They are cute little fluff nuggets!
She looks like a lighter blue. Too dark to be a lavender or a splash as far as I can tell. You will know when she feathers out. My splash silkie (which I thought was lavender, as that is what I was sold anyway) was a silvery white at hatch, feathered in white, then gradually developed her splashes. I am very happy with her, even though she is not a lavender!😊
WIN_20200528_08_14_09_Pro (2).jpg
B3442A27-F6E7-4A6B-930F-232521E11B64.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom