Blue Swedish, Cayuga, and Welsh Harlequin and housing - PICS ADDED!

Eroc1_1

Songster
9 Years
Jan 12, 2011
I ordered 6 female ducks (2 Blue Swedish, 2 Cayuga, and 2 Welsh Harlequin)for my daughters from Meyer Hatchery this past week and due to come in around 3-1-11. We are building a 'duck house' for them. I am wondering if it will be acceptable housing - it is not completed but in the construction phase.

The house portion (the style is loosely based on the Chick-N-Barn - as seen on the internet) is aprox 4' x 4' with walls starting at 30" tall and peaking at 45" tall. I have insulated the 2 walls and the ceiling with 1.5" foam insulation (then covered with 1/2" plywood) and the other 2 walls with 2" insulation (also covered with 1/2" plywood). The plywood doorway is 18" tall and 14" wide. The peak has 10 2 1/2" ventilation holes cut out with 1/8" wire mesh behind it. We are also building a covered front porch (screened in with 1" x 1" welded wire) that is aprox 4' x 3' and is about 24" in height and will be able to be locked at night. This 'house' is built on 4 - 2" x 10" x 7' Pressure treated runners with 1/2" plywood as the floor. There will be ramp up to the screened porch. I have also thought of adding a light near the peak.

The ducks will be housed at night and let out to roam the property during the day. We rent a place with a pond....

Last edited:
droolin.gif
Oh my that is gorgeous. ... I mean, what a wreck, send it to me and start over on a new one.
hide.gif

DWD - That is a great article. I just may add a couple more ventilation areas before I make it all nice and pretty. I guess I am am too cautious about making them comfortable......to a fault, maybe. Thanks again.

I added another ventilation area (6" x 8") at the front of the house towards the peak. I will also be adding a screened doorway between the house and porch (I will also make a solid door to fit for the winter). I am really hesitant about adding ventilation to the walls right now. I figure that I can swing open 2 walls during the day since the ducks will most likely be scouring the lawn and pond anyway.

I would try to include some pics, but I am having a hard time adding them and learning how to use our new Mac.
hmm.png

Depending on where you live, I would advise there be lots of open air spaces or windows for summer time. My ducks say it is way too hot in the summer with the whole wall to the south open at night.
I am building a smaller coop (or coops) for segregating the ducks when they go into breeding and plan on windows on all sides covered with hardware cloth. They will also be 4x4x4 and am even thinking of putting roof vents on the tops. Ducks put off a lot of moisture, especially if they come in wet at night.

Well, we live near Akron, OH. So we can have some hot summer days and cold/windy winters days as well. I don't want to make too many mistakes either way. Or maybe I should make removable panels for the sides so they can be replaced in the colder months..........

The problem is over-thinking................

Dances With Ducks.....agreed, great article! we are almost done with the mansion and will be moving everyone in soon. DH and I were discussing ventilation...and since he likes to drag his feet.....I can show him this article (ya, read it to him and tell him what I want) and we can add that AFTER they move in......let's just get it done, darling ok??LOL
barnie.gif

I added two 12"x12" ventilation windows at the peak of the duck house. I used 1"x1" welded wire over the window to prevent predation. I figured since it is about 30" from the floor we shouldn't have any problems, right? I can always add smaller welded wire on the inside if needed. I will also be using the 1"x1' welded wire around the porch enclosure.

Here are some pics of the nearly finished 'duck' house.
76564_duck_house_4.jpg

76564_duck_house_3.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom