pipdzipdnreadytogo

Fuzzy Feather Fanatic
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
Jun 9, 2011
Indiana
My Coop
My Coop
I've been trying to find more information on breeding blue plumage beyond your basic Bl gene inheritance. I'm working with silkied Blue Cochins and they have the same issue that Silkies can have in that the Blues are often so dark that they look like they're Black instead. Ideally, I'd like to select for lighter individuals and eventually consistently produce lighter individuals as a result.

I came across a post the other day regarding breeding Blue to Blue that I can't seem to locate anymore. The poster did not have a source linked or anything, but claimed that breeding only Blue to Blue would produce lighter Blue individuals each generation, and that that's why it's suggested to breed Blue to Black sometimes as well, to maintain a darker shade of Blue. I am wondering if anyone can confirm or deny this claim, whether via their own experience breeding Blues or possibly with a link to literature on the subject? I have a beautiful cockerel growing out whose only real flaw so far is that he's a super dark shade of Blue, and I'd love to breed him next year to this lovely light Blue pullet I have if I can confirm that him being dark Blue isn't going to reverse any progress toward the light Blues I hope to achieve!

Edited to clarify some things

Last edited:
Yeah, that's the problem I'm having. Searching for blue genetics just gets me the Bl gene chart that I already know well, or info about the blue egg gene that doesn't help me at all with Cochins. 😅

I should have been more clear, but the post was saying that specifically the Blues resulting from breeding Blue to Blue would be lighter over generations of breeding them that way. They were not referring to Splash at all.

We all know the charts. So... Maybe breeding Splash to Blue maybe the best way to go, or maybe Black X Splash.
bbs-chart.jpg
I'm only guessing.

Thank you for the responses thus far! That's interesting on the lacing and makes me wonder if that was what was meant in the post I was referring to. 🤔 Blue lacing isn't really discernible on silkied feathers in my experience with them thus far. Here are a few of the birds I'm working with, just to show the different colors:

The cockerel I was referring to in my original post. He has so much potential already in my opinion, but is such a dark shade of Blue that he just looks Black. You can still see his blue baby fluff on his head, though. My two adult Blue hens are this shade as well.

Blue 1.jpg

His rival for the spot of my breeder male in my future Blue pen is more of a medium Blue, a tiny bit darker than I'd prefer (this picture actually makes him look better in that respect than in person) but at least clearly Blue. He has some comb point weirdness that I don't like as much as Blue 1, but is otherwise fine, just hasn't feathered in as much.

Blue 3.jpg

This is the pullet I was referring to in my original post. This color is what I hope to achieve with consistency from my Blue pen. :love Unfortunately, she was the only one to hatch this light and the other two pullets are quite dark like Blue 1.

Blue 4.jpg

I didn't hatch any Splashes, so I only have Blues and Blacks to work with at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom