Blueberry Bread for breakfast...

BettyR

Songster
12 Years
Mar 1, 2008
Texas Gulf Coast
This is one of DH's favorite things for breakfast. I use two pans to make a thinner bread, he thinks the crust is the best part and the thinner loaf gives him more crust.

Blueberry Bread

1/2-cup margarine
1 (8-oz.) package cream cheese
1 1/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1-tablespoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon vinegar
1/4-cup milk
2 cup sifted flour
1-teaspoon baking powder
1/2-teaspoon soda
1/4-teaspoon salt
8 ounces frozen blueberries

Mix the margarine and cream cheese in a bowl, cream well. Add the sugar gradually and cream well. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Add the vanilla and vinegar to the milk and mix well.

Stir dry ingredients together. Remove 1/3 cup of flour mixture from the bowl, remove blueberries from the freezer and place them in the bowl with the removed flour mixture. Stir well to coat the blueberries with the flour.

Beat the remaining flour mixture and the milk mixture, into the creamed mixture a little at a time beginning and ending with the flour. Fold the remaining flour and blueberries into the batter just until combined.

Turn batter into a well greased and floured loaf pan and bake in a 350° oven (325° for dark, coated, or glass pans) for 1 hour (I start keeping a close watch at 45 minutes). A toothpick inserted into the middle of the bread will come out clean when done.

Note: I use two pans to make a thinner bread. My husband thinks the crust is the best part and the thinner loaf gives him more crust.

BlueberryBread001.jpg

Nom Nom Nom!!!!
That sounds so good!
& I totally agree with Mr BettyR - more crusty edges!

I have some blueberries & cranberries in the freezer.
I never use margarine so it would be butter in my version - is that ever a Bad Thing?
I've got everything else except the cream cheese, but then I need to do some grocery shopping anyhow...

Vfem:
would you add sugar to the cranberries before using them in this recipe?

Last edited:
Quote:
This is a very old recipe...I never use margarine either, it's always butter.

I have never cooked with cranberries in my life so I'm not a good person to ask that question.

Last edited:
Haven't tried it yet... forgot the cranberries.... but yes, I would toss them in a little sugar before I tried it. Probably about 2 Tbsp.

Ok vfem
I may make this tonight...or tomorrow
I still need to go for groceries anyhow so I can get the cream cheese then

Perfect weather here for staying in & baking
big_smile.png

That bread looks delicious! I'm going to make it tomorrow! The cranberries sound like a great idea with maybe some grated orange peel...cranberries and orange are such a perfect combo! I may have to make two batches!

Back
Top Bottom