Bob white quail thread!!

Sorry, I don't have any way of doing pictures. If you want some help on anything PM me. I sure don't know everything, but have learned a lot from doing research on line and by good old trial and error. The bobs are happy, singing, and laying eggs. Can't ask for more than that.

New to quell just got 15 hell ever in three days we've lost too. Is there a way if anybody can help me to make them stop bunching up in the corners on top of each other period question mark or is there another cause to my losing of two and three days.

I know this thread appears old but I have just hatched some Georgia Giant Bobwhite Quail and was wanting to know what advice someone may be able to share? I plan to raise them for a variety of reasons but for the enjoyment mostly. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Be Sure to give them PLENTY of space. How many is some? I carried 10 males in a cardboard box 100 feet and they killed one. It will take a good six months before they start laying.

I hatched 30. They are very skittish compared to the ducks and chickens I have raised before. I expected them to be more nervous and flighty. My thought is to keep most of them in a large flight pen and use a few at a time as breeders to keep me in newly hatched quail for sale, trade and harvesting. I would rotate my breeders out with the birds in the flight occasionally to keep from over stressing in particular group of the quail.

I just put in 74 standard BOBS in the incubator. We will see how the hatch rate goes. My bobs are like wild birds, a lot different than the coturnix quails, who I can literally reach in and pick up. The standard breed live a lot longer and are hardier than the coturnix. I won't change out my breeders for a long time, do to the time it takes for them to mature. I have these just for enjoyment and I am expanding with a new covey to have in a large ground pen. With the resident coopers hawks we have breeding and raising young every year, there will be no flight pen. I also use 1/2" x 1/2" wire so they can't stir the quail up and snatch off the heads as the try to escape. These hawks are experts at it and have been caught in the act doing this to my neighbors chicks. I will hatch out a batch of coturnix nest for replacements and meat. My breeders are now nearly 2 years old. I get eggs daily from all as I have a timed lighting system for the shorter sun hour months. This works with any animal as they use length of daylight to lay eggs or breed. I have done this for many years raising meat rabbits and fowl. Now with the efficient lights, the cost is nothing to run them. Good luck and have fun.

Back
Top Bottom