Bob white quail thread!!

Hello, I got my first quail this summer(bobwhites), I started out with thirteen, work at a feed store so I kept them there until they were 2 months old. on the day I was packing them up one little guy got his leg caught in chicken wire and snapped
th.gif
I tended to it and separated him, i found him dead in the morning
hit.gif
It was a while later, they were doing great at home, when I went on a trip and had my mother care for them. They managed to find a hole in the pen and four escaped! But luckily my mom noticed and took a fishing net and caught two. I was bummed out when I got home and a few days after I found a hen lying dead in the middle of the floor. I was quite mad on that one cuz I knew she was a hen. But they are around 4 months old now and they were treated with a new and improved pen yesterday! They love it! My dominant rooster (named Chief Crazy Horse, after my ancestry) sat on top of the hutch and just announced his happines to the world!

-On a different note, what age do bobwhites begin to lay?

Oh thank goodness! Mine are 14 weeks and aren't laying . .  . .any reasons why? It was warm for a while but the last two weeks it has been cold and rainy. . . 

They lay at 16 weeks. They have a laying season, too. So you and I probably won't get any until next year.

Back
Top Bottom