Bob white quail thread!!

Quote: I have found the females to be far more brutal to each other than the males. Especially if they are raised together, the males tend to tolerate each other where as the females can rip into each other easier especially over their mates. :)

I have found the females to be far more brutal to each other than the males. Especially if they are raised together, the males tend to tolerate each other where as the females can rip into each other easier especially over their mates. :)

Oh okay! Again, good to know! Ha. What is a good male to female ratio to go with then? They will all be housed together because I only have one coop. I only have 20 right now and will get some more to mix up the gene pool but I don't plan on having more than 20 adults.

Bobs are kept 1 male to 1 female. I have never had any luck with keeping more than one female with a mate. The lone female can be killed if you try keeping 2 or 3 with a male. Now, if you have TONS of space, it is possible to keep groups of pairs together, but not in tiny pens. They also require 4 square foot per bird. Bobs are big, hyper and can be aggressive. So give them as much space as you can.

Bobs are kept 1 male to 1 female. I have never had any luck with keeping more than one female with a mate. The lone female can be killed if you try keeping 2 or 3 with a male. Now, if you have TONS of space, it is possible to keep groups of pairs together, but not in tiny pens. They also require 4 square foot per bird. Bobs are big, hyper and can be aggressive. So give them as much space as you can.

Okay will do!

Good to know. I enjoy them. Just wanted to make sure I don't have too many males as Ive heard they will kill each other.

Received an email today from the lady that gave me the dozen White Bobwhites after asking her some questions. She says she's not had a problem with her males fighting/harming each other if they were raised together, have enough room and there are at least the same amount of hens. Now I'm sure she's commenting on me having only 12 and it could be different if I had a lot more. I couldn't handle them killing each other or even drawing blood. Hope she's right.

Received an email today from the lady that gave me the dozen White Bobwhites after asking her some questions.   She says she's not had a problem with her males fighting/harming each other if they were raised together, have enough room and there are at least the same amount of hens.  Now I'm sure she's commenting on me having only 12 and it could be different if I had a lot more.  I couldn't handle them killing each other or even drawing blood.  Hope she's right.

Thanks for the info. I imagine large numbers would have to be separated. Currently I only have 6/6 of each, I sold off all the extra males. They sold good too $8.25 each. I was surprised!

Thanks for the info. I imagine large numbers would have to be separated. Currently I only have 6/6 of each, I sold off all the extra males. They sold good too $8.25 each. I was surprised!

Turned out 2 of the White Bobwhites did get bloodied up. I removed them into another cage and all went well for about a week when 1 decided to peck a hole in the others head so separated the 2 in same cage but mesh between them. Concerned about the challenge returning them to the other 10 quail I gave them back to Dana that had given the dozen to me. Now I'm left with 10 that so far (knock on wood) get along. I'd planned on putting them with the 2 male Red Golden Pheasant in a 9 by 22 foot pen, 9 feet high but read on backyardchickens about pheasant killing quail in the same pen. Darn....nothing is easy.

You got a great price for your males. (-:

We want to hatch some bob whites and it will be our first time. We have had chickens for 3 years but not quail.

I have a few questions.

If we are going to hatch them. How many eggs should we order if our pen for them is 46x23.5? It has an enclosed run that is 43x40. ( it's a rabbit hutch) I have no idea how many that will work with.

What happens if we end up with a higher amount of males than females? We do have a smaller rabbit wire cage we could put a few of needed. Can they be sexed right at hatch? Should we buy eggs from 2 different sellers to keep genetics diverse? What age are they " processing" age? Our plan is to raise some for eggs, eat some and hatch some more from these birds to keep things going.

thanks!

We want to hatch some bob whites and it will be our first time. We have had chickens for 3 years but not quail.

I have a few questions.

If we are going to hatch them. How many eggs should we order if our pen for them is 46x23.5? It has an enclosed run that is 43x40. ( it's a rabbit hutch) I have no idea how many that will work with.

What happens if we end up with a higher amount of males than females? We do have a smaller rabbit wire cage we could put a few of needed. Can they be sexed right at hatch? Should we buy eggs from 2 different sellers to keep genetics diverse? What age are they " processing" age? Our plan is to raise some for eggs, eat some and hatch some more from these birds to keep things going.

thanks!
I would recommend that you get coturnix instead, they are much cheaper, easier to raise, and you get your moneys worth out of them. With coturnix you can keep much more in a cage than with bobs. coturnix only need 1 sq ft per bird while bobs need 4 sq ft per bird. Coturnix also produce more eggs than the average chicken and start laying around 6 weeks while bobs its more like 6 months. also cots are ready for butcher around 8-10 weeks while bobs take upwards of 20 weeks.

But if you are dead set on bobs, then do your research....they are quite difficult compared to chickens

Back
Top Bottom