Bob white quail thread!!

Ill disagree... my bobs were cheaper than my coturnix.. I paid $2 a bird... they are more wild but easier to keep and take care of... they dont have problems... very social birds with easch other... they love being in a big colony with each other and rafting up during winter... spring summer gotta be 1 to 1. I keep my bobs 1sqft per bird and have no problems with them paired up like that..

Ill disagree... my bobs were cheaper than my coturnix.. I paid $2 a bird... they are more wild but easier to keep and take care of... they dont have problems... very social birds with easch other... they love being in a big colony with each other and rafting up during winter... spring summer gotta be 1 to 1. I keep my bobs 1sqft per bird and have no problems with them paired up like that..
Lucky, I paid almost 4 dollars a chick and I get adult coturnix for around 2 dollars each. But what I meant by cheaper was their living requirements, Bobs you have to have a cage for every pair for breeding season and they eat more than coturnix, but cots can be in a colony their whole life

So what happens if I leave my 10 White Bobwhite Quail in the 8 by 22 foot pen with 9 foot ceiling? I don't want to have to separate them 1 to 1 female/male. Please don't tell me they will fight, hurt or even kill each other. I have 2 Red Golden Pheasant male in there also. I put the Bob's in this morning and all went well. Everyone getting along and the Quail are sure happy to be out of that little cage. They have hay to cuddle into in the back half of the pen that is closed in on 3 sides with roof. I put a heat lamp in one corner they can get under later when it gets cold (high 30's). I thought they would fly and go nuts when I went in the pen but they just move away and are pretty calm. Hope this goes well.

So what happens if I leave my 10 White Bobwhite Quail in the 8 by 22 foot pen with 9 foot ceiling? I don't want to have to separate them 1 to 1 female/male. Please don't tell me they will fight, hurt or even kill each other. I have 2 Red Golden Pheasant male in there also. I put the Bob's in this morning and all went well. Everyone getting along and the Quail are sure happy to be out of that little cage. They have hay to cuddle into in the back half of the pen that is closed in on 3 sides with roof. I put a heat lamp in one corner they can get under later when it gets cold (high 30's). I thought they would fly and go nuts when I went in the pen but they just move away and are pretty calm. Hope this goes well.

Im no expert... I just keep my bobs separated. No room for an avairy.. but... my guess is you better have lots of hiding places and such if your gonna keep them together or they will fight

Sooo... I let my bobs out a few days ago and they flew off out of the pen and hadn't seen them since last Sunday. Well, we went to go check on the birds (chickens) today, I was letting them free range, the whole ENTIRE cubby showed up and was just walking around our feet like nothing had happened.

Im no expert... I just keep my bobs separated. No room for an avairy.. but... my guess is you better have lots of hiding places and such if your gonna keep them together or they will fight

The White Bobwhite's settled in for the night in the aviary out in the open instead of on the hay in the enclosed area. I slowly moved them to the back and they scattered laying in the hay going to sleep. Just went out in the dark to see if they moved during the night. Half are in one corner beneath the heat lamp and other half are in the other corner. I'm wondering if they will work out their differences and form 2 covies or even 3 or ??? since there is enough room and leave each other alone. Maybe I'm hoping for a miracle, LOL!!! I'll keep you all informed.

Sooo... I let my bobs out a few days ago and they flew off out of the pen and hadn't seen them since last Sunday. Well, we went to go check on the birds (chickens) today, I was letting them free range, the whole ENTIRE cubby showed up and was just walking around our feet like nothing had happened.

You have got to be kidding!!!!! Is this something that happens once in a while or a first? Being new to quail that sounds just amazing. I can tell you mine would never appear later in any form or fashion. Our 2 cats love birds. I keep saying they better be loving field mice and country rats as much or they'll be evicted, haha!!! Also we have hawks, Caracara's and all kinds of ground predators like raccoons and fox. These little white quail wouldn't last 24 hours in the wild.

Hey question. Does anyone House their bobs with other birds? I'm building an aviary for my ducks. It's going to be roughly 75ft by 16ft by 8 ft tall. (Florida requires covered pens for ducks). I only have about 20 bobs, think they'd be okay turned loose in with the ducks?

Hey question. Does anyone House their bobs with other birds? I'm building an aviary for my ducks. It's going to be roughly 75ft by 16ft by 8 ft tall. (Florida requires covered pens for ducks). I only have about 20 bobs, think they'd be okay turned loose in with the ducks?
My quail get along fine with my ducks, I dont house them in the same pen but my quail cages are in my duck yard, and when a quail gets out (even for several days in the duck yard) there have been no problems. But jusr be sure your bobs cant fit through the fencing, they can fit through surprising holes

Back
Top Bottom