Boiled eggs-hard to peel shell

Quote:
That's what I do also. Recently I tried a different method for hardboiling them that I read right before Easter. Put the eggs in a pan, and cover them with cold water. Bring them to a boil and watch the time for one minute. Move the pan off the burner and cover. After 13 minutes drain off the hot water and run them under cold water. Since I have been doing them this way, have had good luck peeling them and no green rings around the yolks.

Does anyone have a good recipe for egg salad?

Don't use your fresh eggs. Use eggs that are more then a few days old. Also, when boiling them put a lot of salt in the water. I mean a lot. If you are boiling a dozen maybe a 1/4 cup of salt maybe more. Once they are done run them under cold water and put in the fridg.

As grandma taught me, when your eggs are cooked, they should be plunged into ice water, this shrinks the membrane around the egg and separates it from the shell, the other thing is -one the eggs are cool, and that should be soon, cause if your ice water gets warm you need to put more ice in(immediately)- tap the shell all over on a counter top to 'spider web fracture' it - like an auto window, any place that was not cracked will stick! I roll it around to make sure the outer shell is all mush but not the egg inside, you can then peel the whole thing off, sometimes in one piece.
I've never put salt in the water, vinegar, may keep the shell from cracking, but not always, so why waste, I add nothing.
That green line around the yoke? Thats from over cooking the egg,
I always use fresh eggs, they always taste better, the whole trick is the ice water and fracturing the shell all the way around, been doing that since I was a little kid, and you want them really really cold, and it always works. Happy shelling!
Ps you dont have to peel them right away either, they keep better in the shell in the fridge without absorbing any other taste.

Ole Rooster, I don't taste the salt in the eggs. When I tried the methods using a lot of salt I did not taste it in them either but the texture seemed to be affected. I am not absolutely sure the salt is essential but it's always worked for me so I have not left it off. You might try the method minus the salt with a few eggs to see if it works.

Yesterday the wife boiled 7 eggs for egg salad sanwiches. She puts the eggs in boiler in cold water. Then brings it to a complete boil. Then shuts off the burner and let is stop and just sit in hot water for about 10 minutes. After that in the cold water till they cool. All seven peeled with no sticking to the shell at all. I think the real trick was the cooling down period.

Worked here.

I didn't read all these answers, but mine I give to my customers, boil with 1 tsp of vinegar, then immediately into an ice bath...works every time

Quote:
Don't use fresh eggs? Why are we collecting them then? Sorry...I want mine fresh, that is why I have chickens, it is true, if they sit for a while, the membrane does separate and makes it easier...

As grandma taught me, when your eggs are cooked, they should be plunged into ice water, this shrinks the membrane around the egg and separates it from the shell, the other thing is -one the eggs are cool, and that should be soon, cause if your ice water gets warm you need to put more ice in(immediately)- tap the shell all over on a counter top to 'spider web fracture' it - like an auto window, any place that was not cracked will stick! I roll it around to make sure the outer shell is all mush but not the egg inside, you can then peel the whole thing off, sometimes in one piece.
I've never put salt in the water, vinegar, may keep the shell from cracking, but not always, so why waste, I add nothing.
That green line around the yoke? Thats from over cooking the egg,
I always use fresh eggs, they always taste better, the whole trick is the ice water and fracturing the shell all the way around, been doing that since I was a little kid, and you want them really really cold, and it always works. Happy shelling!
Ps you dont have to peel them right away either, they keep better in the shell in the fridge without absorbing any other taste.

x2!!

Put the eggs in a pan, cover with at least an inch of water, put it on the stove, bring it to a boil. Let them boil 1 minute, remove from heat, cover and let sit for 17 minutes. (this amount of time ensures they're done, no matter what size egg, amount of eggs, shape of pan, etc...and won't over cook them) Pour off the hot water, start running cold water over them, pour the cold off a couple times, leave a little in the pan, and dump ice over them, gently so you don't bust the shells, unless of course you don't care... Let them soak in the ice bath till they cool, and either peel them right away, or put them in the fridge. When you peel them, roll them around on the counter too crack all of the shell. If they start to stick at all, peel them under cold running water.

Works like a charm for me, and I LLOOOOVVVVEEE hard boiled eggs, and egg salad! (So I boil a lot of fresh eggs!)
smile.png

Vinegar in the water keeps the whites from oozing out if they crack in the pan. Never use it, or salt in the water. (I mean I've never used it...you can if you want too, of course!)
wink.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom