Bonsai trees!

Garjzla

Crowing
5 Years
Nov 28, 2014
Oregon
I'm planning on growing some Bonsai trees from weeping willow seeds and cider gum eucalyptus tree seeds, but I heard it's really difficult to grow them, does anyone have tips? Or experience?

The seeds won't be here for a while, but I want to know how to do it before getting started!

Yeah, but ever since I've been spraying it with water it seems better.

Great. Be sure to keep it out of too much sun. Also, be sure that when you put trees in pots (other plants too) that you use pots with a hole in the bottom so the water drains out. If the water does not drain out the plant drowns or the water sours. In either case the plant/tree dies. The exceptions to this are water loving plants like willow.

I've had it about a year maybe more, I got it from a garden centre but it didn't have a label or any information about it. Just a price sticker.

Do you think it has enough soil in the pot?

The tree looks good and healthy. I would not repot this tree or add soil. If you haven't, the tree should be fertilized. I use Miracle grow but at half strength or weaker depending on the specie. For this tree, half strength. There are commercial fertilizers for bonsai available.

There are many sites that give directions on the care of bonsai. But beware on using information as they are often too generalized. Try to find out the specie you have then go to a site on that variety. Sites often make having bonsai harder than it is, but they are worth reading. If you can post a close up of the leaves and branches, I might be able to identify the tree for you.

My newest bonsai-Chinese elm-being trained for a weeping look-birthday present from my wife.

I'm planning on growing some Bonsai trees from weeping willow seeds and cider gum eucalyptus tree seeds, but I heard it's really difficult to grow them, does anyone have tips? Or experience?

The seeds won't be here for a while, but I want to know how to do it before getting started!

I grow bonsai. With weeping willow a healthy branch that's not too big will give you a tree much faster than seeds. I started one last year-I put two branches about a half inch in diameter in good sterilized soil. The soil is in an opening in a volcanic rock. It is doing well and starting to "weep". W e use it as a center piece on the patio table; quite a conversation starter. The volcanic rock sits on a shallow container full on gravel. I keep the container full of water at all times in that willows do best in moist conditions. Be aware that many trees have seeds that have to be kept cold for several months-read the directions that come with the seeds closely. Seeds of this type will not germinate until they have been exposed to "winter" type conditions. To germinate seeds I put them in soil with a small container, moistened, then sealed in a zip lock bag. The bag should be put in a place where there is some sun, but not too much. Some seeds take a long time to germinate; the zip lock bag keeps the soil moist and warm. Good luck.

Last edited:
I grow bonsai. With weeping willow a healthy branch that's not too big will give you a tree much faster than seeds. I started one last year-I put two branches about a half inch in diameter in good sterilized soil. The soil is in an opening in a volcanic rock. It is doing well and starting to "weep". W e use it as a center piece on the patio table; quite a conversation starter. The volcanic rock sits on a shallow container full on gravel. I keep the container full of water at all times in that willows do best in moist conditions. Be aware that many trees have seeds that have to be kept cold for several months-read the directions that come with the seeds closely. Seeds of this type will not germinate until they have been exposed to "winter" type conditions. To germinate seeds I put them in soil with a small container, moistened, then sealed in a zip lock bag. The bag should be put in a place where there is some sun, but not too much. Some seeds take a long time to germinate; the zip lock bag keeps the soil moist and warm. Good luck.
Wait, just a branch? Really? I might as well use a seed, though, because I bought a package of 50.
lol.png

I have a baby oak tree and a baby evergreen tree, and I'm going to make them bonsai trees. I found them outside, one by the porch and one in a pot, both in unwanted places. So far they're healthy and I got cute little baby bonsai pots for the evergreen, but the oak tree was too big for them.
Thanks for the help!:)

Yes. Just a branch. Seed take much llooonnnngggggeeeerrrr to grow and develop. I planted three and two are now thriving 15 inch tall bonsai. Definitely try the seed, but I encourage you to try cuttings-branches. If you'd like more info on this I will answer. Maples-If you want a tree that will make a nice bonsai and grow quickly, I recommend soft maples. They grow fast and adapt to bonsai conditions. Most likely they have a different name there, but the internet will help you with that. And if you don't have soft maples I would be happy to send you a few million seeds that are all over my patio. They can be planted immediately and in a few years you will have a nice bonsai. The biggest problem is that they have to be pruned and wired into shape often. They are easily one of the fastest growing trees.

Last edited:
Yes. Just a branch. I planted three and two are now thriving 15 inch tall bonsai. Definitely try the seed, but I encourage you to try cuttings-branches. If you'd like more info on this I will answer. Maples-If you want a tree that will make a nice bonsai and grow quickly, I recommend soft maples. They grow fast and adapt to bonsai conditions. Most likely they have a different name there, but the internet will help you with that. And if you don't have soft maples I would be happy to send you a few million seeds that are all over my patio. They can be planted immediately and in a few years you will have a nice bonsai.

Ooh! I'll ask my mom about those soft maples and see what she says, because I doubt OR has them! What state do you live in?

Do Cider Gum Eucalyptus trees grow quickly?

Back
Top Bottom