Bonsai trees!

Garjzla

Crowing
5 Years
Nov 28, 2014
Oregon
I'm planning on growing some Bonsai trees from weeping willow seeds and cider gum eucalyptus tree seeds, but I heard it's really difficult to grow them, does anyone have tips? Or experience?

The seeds won't be here for a while, but I want to know how to do it before getting started!

I'm planning on growing some Bonsai trees from weeping willow seeds and cider gum eucalyptus tree seeds, but I heard it's really difficult to grow them, does anyone have tips? Or experience?

The seeds won't be here for a while, but I want to know how to do it before getting started!

I grow bonsai. With weeping willow a healthy branch that's not too big will give you a tree much faster than seeds. I started one last year-I put two branches about a half inch in diameter in good sterilized soil. The soil is in an opening in a volcanic rock. It is doing well and starting to "weep". W e use it as a center piece on the patio table; quite a conversation starter. The volcanic rock sits on a shallow container full on gravel. I keep the container full of water at all times in that willows do best in moist conditions. Be aware that many trees have seeds that have to be kept cold for several months-read the directions that come with the seeds closely. Seeds of this type will not germinate until they have been exposed to "winter" type conditions. To germinate seeds I put them in soil with a small container, moistened, then sealed in a zip lock bag. The bag should be put in a place where there is some sun, but not too much. Some seeds take a long time to germinate; the zip lock bag keeps the soil moist and warm. Good luck.

Last edited:
I grow bonsai. With weeping willow a healthy branch that's not too big will give you a tree much faster than seeds. I started one last year-I put two branches about a half inch in diameter in good sterilized soil. The soil is in an opening in a volcanic rock. It is doing well and starting to "weep". W e use it as a center piece on the patio table; quite a conversation starter. The volcanic rock sits on a shallow container full on gravel. I keep the container full of water at all times in that willows do best in moist conditions. Be aware that many trees have seeds that have to be kept cold for several months-read the directions that come with the seeds closely. Seeds of this type will not germinate until they have been exposed to "winter" type conditions. To germinate seeds I put them in soil with a small container, moistened, then sealed in a zip lock bag. The bag should be put in a place where there is some sun, but not too much. Some seeds take a long time to germinate; the zip lock bag keeps the soil moist and warm. Good luck.
Wait, just a branch? Really? I might as well use a seed, though, because I bought a package of 50.
lol.png

I have a baby oak tree and a baby evergreen tree, and I'm going to make them bonsai trees. I found them outside, one by the porch and one in a pot, both in unwanted places. So far they're healthy and I got cute little baby bonsai pots for the evergreen, but the oak tree was too big for them.
Thanks for the help!:)

Yes. Just a branch. Seed take much llooonnnngggggeeeerrrr to grow and develop. I planted three and two are now thriving 15 inch tall bonsai. Definitely try the seed, but I encourage you to try cuttings-branches. If you'd like more info on this I will answer. Maples-If you want a tree that will make a nice bonsai and grow quickly, I recommend soft maples. They grow fast and adapt to bonsai conditions. Most likely they have a different name there, but the internet will help you with that. And if you don't have soft maples I would be happy to send you a few million seeds that are all over my patio. They can be planted immediately and in a few years you will have a nice bonsai. The biggest problem is that they have to be pruned and wired into shape often. They are easily one of the fastest growing trees.

Last edited:
Yes. Just a branch. I planted three and two are now thriving 15 inch tall bonsai. Definitely try the seed, but I encourage you to try cuttings-branches. If you'd like more info on this I will answer. Maples-If you want a tree that will make a nice bonsai and grow quickly, I recommend soft maples. They grow fast and adapt to bonsai conditions. Most likely they have a different name there, but the internet will help you with that. And if you don't have soft maples I would be happy to send you a few million seeds that are all over my patio. They can be planted immediately and in a few years you will have a nice bonsai.

Ooh! I'll ask my mom about those soft maples and see what she says, because I doubt OR has them! What state do you live in?

Do Cider Gum Eucalyptus trees grow quickly?

May I please see some pictures of your bonsais? I have not yet had one, but I hope to buy a full grown one to help me learn about them.

I will look through the pictures I have to see if any are of the bonsai. I meet very few people that are interested. My wife is out of town with the camera, so if I can't locate any pictures I will have her take pictures when she gets home next week and post them on this thread. I have bought mature bonsai, but the ones I grew myself are and were more fun. Here are some sources to find trees to make into bonsai: Walmart at the end of the planting season-they often sell the trees/bushes for a few dollars each. I have a number of bonsai that were started that way. I have a beautiful American elm that was growing "on top" of a cement sidewalk in some old leaves. I picked it up and brought it home to be planted. No damage from digging so it grew immediately. Look in dry sandy areas. Trees from these conditions often transplant well. Ebay during the fall and winter when people are not usually planting or buying trees so prices are cheap. I have trees from around the world through Ebay. Be careful; only buy what is shown in pictures and is identified as the actual tree. Do not buy seeds off Ebay-Too many of them are rip-offs. Everywhere I go I watch for little trees growing where it is easy to move them. Any damage o te roots means the tree will die or take a long time to heal and grow. Some of my trees started as seedlings UNDER the patio. My wife laughs at my antics in locating trees, and then buys me one from Turkey, India, or some other exotic location.

I will look through the pictures I have to see if any are of the bonsai. I meet very few people that are interested. My wife is out of town with the camera, so if I can't locate any pictures I will have her take pictures when she gets home next week and post them on this thread. I have bought mature bonsai, but the ones I grew myself are and were more fun. Here are some sources to find trees to make into bonsai: Walmart at the end of the planting season-they often sell the trees/bushes for a few dollars each. I have a number of bonsai that were started that way. I have a beautiful American elm that was growing "on top" of a cement sidewalk in some old leaves. I picked it up and brought it home to be planted. No damage from digging so it grew immediately. Look in dry sandy areas. Trees from these conditions often transplant well. Ebay during the fall and winter when people are not usually planting or buying trees so prices are cheap. I have trees from around the world through Ebay. Be careful; only buy what is shown in pictures and is identified as the actual tree. Do not buy seeds off Ebay-Too many of them are rip-offs. Everywhere I go I watch for little trees growing where it is easy to move them. Any damage o te roots means the tree will die or take a long time to heal and grow. Some of my trees started as seedlings UNDER the patio. My wife laughs at my antics in locating trees, and then buys me one from Turkey, India, or some other exotic location.
It is uncommon to be interested in trees, but my mom started it. She loves trees and we had a conversation (a very short one) about bonsais in the car, and then I went on amazon (seeing reviews and pictures of the full grown trees, most satisfied) and bought some seeds.
I will probably buy a full grown bonsai this saturday at the saturday market, just to get the hang of their care before caring for my own, I've seen 'em before and they are ADORABLE. The one thing I don't like is the pots, I touch the inside or bottom with my fingernail and it just makes me about lose my mind.
lol.png
Though, that's how it is with most pots, rough and scratchy.
I did cut a baby trees roots that it uses to search deep into the ground for water, but I've had it for over 24 hours and it's as green, or greener, than before.
I moved a baby oak tree from my porch into a different pot, and I want it to stay miniature, so do I cut the roots already? I've had it for a week. It's just a little twig, so will cutting the roots make it stay a little twig, or not? I got a jewelry making kit and for some reason it came with bonsai trimmers! It's for cutting chains but I swear, it looks like a bonsai limb and root trimmer.

It is uncommon to be interested in trees, but my mom started it. She loves trees and we had a conversation (a very short one) about bonsais in the car, and then I went on amazon (seeing reviews and pictures of the full grown trees, most satisfied) and bought some seeds.
I will probably buy a full grown bonsai this saturday at the saturday market, just to get the hang of their care before caring for my own, I've seen 'em before and they are ADORABLE. The one thing I don't like is the pots, I touch the inside or  bottom with my fingernail and it just makes me about lose my mind.:lol: Though, that's how it is with most pots, rough and scratchy.
I did cut a baby trees roots that it uses to search deep into the ground for water, but I've had it for over 24 hours and it's as green, or greener, than before.
I moved a baby oak tree from my porch into a different pot, and I want it to stay miniature, so do I cut the roots already? I've had it for a week. It's just a little twig, so will cutting the roots make it stay a little twig, or not? I got a jewelry making kit and for some reason it came with bonsai trimmers! It's for cutting chains but I swear, it looks like a bonsai limb and root trimmer.

Do not trim roots the first year. You do not even have to be concerned about pots. Depending on the specie and how fast it is growing you can start to wire the tree into interesting shapes. The main concern is to get the tree growing and be healthy. I would recommend that you not buy a mature tree as they require a lot of care and cost. Start with small trees, cuttings, and seeds and then, if your still interested, buy a bonsai. A great tree to start with is a ginseng ficus. They grow well, require less time and care, and are fascinating to look at. I have a number of these in my classroom. When I trim them the students practically fight over the cuttings as they are pretty easy to get started.

Back
Top Bottom