Bonsai trees!

Really? Cool! I may tell my mom about it, though I don't want to bother her with my talk about bonsais, but it helps a lot that she loves bonsais and is glad that I'm making a hobby out of them.
So, basically my oak tree doesn't have much hope? Well, it doesn't matter, I'd like to see what it'll look like naturally, it'll be interesting. I'll just wire the little pine tree later on.
Do you know how long cherry trees take to grow? Not to make cherries, but to be fully grown. I think they're beautiful and I'm excited for it to be full grown, but it's just a little bit of a sprouted seed right now.

I did not intend for you to give up on the oak. But at the same time realize that some tree species grow fairly fast like the willows and others more slowly like oaks and elms. You, at 12, have numerous years to grow and appreciate the beauty of an oak. Me, at 61, prefers something that grows faster. Bonsai are fun and rewarding. Growing them is also full of disappointments. I had two chinese elm that were 35 years old. This past winter and spring have been unusually long, cold, and wet. At night we had frost up until June-both chinese elm died as did many others. Local trees have to go dormant for the winter. These trees never made it out of dormancy. Cherry trees are a good specimen for bonsai; especially the dwarf varieties.

Here's more advice-bother your mom. When my son was 12 is was impossible to get him to talk; and when he did-wow! Your mother may love it that you have something in common to talk about.

I did not intend for you to give up on the oak. But at the same time realize that some tree species grow fairly fast like the willows and others more slowly like oaks and elms. You, at 12, have numerous years to grow and appreciate the beauty of an oak. Me, at 61, prefers something that grows faster. Bonsai are fun and rewarding. Growing them is also full of disappointments. I had two chinese elm that were 35 years old. This past winter and spring have been unusually long, cold, and wet. At night we had frost up until June-both chinese elm died as did many others. Local trees have to go dormant for the winter. These trees never made it out of dormancy. Cherry trees are a good specimen for bonsai; especially the dwarf varieties.

Here's more advice-bother your mom. When my son was 12 is was impossible to get him to talk; and when he did-wow! Your mother may love it that you have something in common to talk about.

I won't give up, and I will always take care of it, it's just I can't shape it but that's perfectly fine:).
Aw, that's sad, do you keep them outside? I'm going to sell a bunch of stuff to clear my dresser so I can gather some bonsais and raise them inside, so I don't have to worry about parasites and bad weather, etc.
My mom used to have a bonsai cherry tree, but it had a parasite when she bought it and it died. I want to grow bonsai cherry trees and give one to my mom so she can have one again, it'll be fun.
Even if I DID raise my bonsais outside, in Oregon it's not too hot or too cold, there was no frost this winter and not much heat this summer (so far) so I think if I run out of space I can succeed in being a tree hoarder outside
lol.png

She probably would like it, and once I buy a bonsai she'll probably think it's interesting to care for it and to see how it's doing. I will try my best to talk about them, but just not too much.
smile.png

I won't give up, and I will always take care of it, it's just I can't shape it but that's perfectly fine:).
Aw, that's sad, do you keep them outside? I'm going to sell a bunch of stuff to clear my dresser so I can gather some bonsais and raise them inside, so I don't have to worry about parasites and bad weather, etc.
My mom used to have a bonsai cherry tree, but it had a parasite when she bought it and it died. I want to grow bonsai cherry trees and give one to my mom so she can have one again, it'll be fun.
Even if I DID raise my bonsais outside, in Oregon it's not too hot or too cold, there was no frost this winter and not much heat this summer (so far) so I think if I run out of space I can succeed in being a tree hoarder outside:lol: .

She probably would like it, and once I buy a bonsai she'll probably think it's interesting to care for it and to see how it's doing. I will try my best to talk about them, but just not too much.:)

"...raise them inside..." There are many trees that can be raised inside like the ficus varieties and the umbrella trees, but there are may others that will NOT thrive indoors; your oak being one of them. Many trees need lots of direct sunlight that is not available inside the house. These numerous species need to be grown outdoors or in a greenhouse. Whenever you find yourself liking a certain specie-do the research-that is what I do. Each type of plant has its own light, water, etc. requirements.

"...raise them inside..." There are many trees that can be raised inside like the ficus varieties and the umbrella trees, but there are may others that will NOT thrive indoors; your oak being one of them. Many trees need lots of direct sunlight that is not available inside the house. These numerous species need to be grown outdoors or in a greenhouse. Whenever you find yourself liking a certain specie-do the research-that is what I do. Each type of plant has its own light, water, etc. requirements.

Really? That must be why my oak looks sick! It's in the sun right now, every morning I water them and then put them in the sun, so I don't know if that's enough or not. But the tree seems dry, so maybe I should water the tree and then spray it with water? I'll try that, and if it doesn't work it'll go outside.
I will look up the sun and water requirements for oak trees.

When trees are first planted in pots they should be put in the shade and gradually moved into more sunlight. Oaks need lots of sun, but in the weakened state after being potted they need protection and moved slowly as they become stronger to more sunlight..

When trees are first planted in pots they should be put in the shade and gradually moved into more sunlight. Oaks need lots of sun, but in the weakened state after being potted they need protection and moved slowly as they become stronger to more sunlight..

Okay, thanks.
I cleaned out a windex bottle but it still smells like windex, yet no trace of windex. Is it still safe to spray the tree with? (I put normal water in it.)

Okay, thanks.
I cleaned out a windex bottle but it still smells like windex, yet no trace of windex. Is it still safe to spray the tree with? (I put normal water in it.)

As long as there is no trace of windex it is safe to use. If you can post a close-up picture of your oak I may be able to tell you if it has died or not.

Usually there is an e-mail from any thread I have posted on from BYC, but not this time or I would have posted right away. In the picture the tree looks good, but I do wonder about the leaf coloring which is probably just the photo. Are the leafs dry and crispy?

Usually there is an e-mail from any thread I have posted on from BYC, but not this time or I would have posted right away. In the picture the tree looks good, but I do wonder about the leaf coloring which is probably just the photo. Are the leafs dry and crispy?

Yeah, but ever since I've been spraying it with water it seems better.

Back
Top Bottom