Growing fodder for flock and geese?

PhantomSlayer

Songster
Aug 22, 2022
Michigan
Does anyone have any experience growing fodder for their flock and geese? Any tips on things you experienced? Like what they preferred? Where you got seeds etc.

Ours are kind of odd and unpredictable on their likes and dislikes lol

From what we've witnessed feeding scraps all of them like tomatoes, our female goose Gizzy loves greenbeans, none of them seemed to care for cabbage or celery. They took a while to warm up to mini carrots lol. BOSS were surprisingly favored by more than half the flock and including the geese.

Does anyone have any experience growing fodder for their flock and geese? Any tips on things you experienced? Like what they preferred? Where you got seeds etc.

Ours are kind of odd and unpredictable on their likes and dislikes lol

From what we've witnessed feeding scraps all of them like tomatoes, our female goose Gizzy loves greenbeans, none of them seemed to care for cabbage or celery. They took a while to warm up to mini carrots lol. BOSS were surprisingly favored by more than half the flock and including the geese.
We grow it only in the winter months when everything green dies. We're in Wisconsin and the birds free range in the summer.

We bought 50# of hard red winter wheat from our feed mill. I bought trays on Amazon to make it easier for me, but I've seen it done with cookie sheets and similar things.

I also ferment in quart jars daily in the winter, and weekly in the summer. I use Kalmbacks Henhouse Reserve, add more BOSS and some 6-grain scratch, plus some of that wheat. I fill the jars 1/3 to 1/2 full, fill with unchlorinated water, stir daily, and serve on the 4th day.

Attachments

• sprouts.jpg
    sprouts.jpg
    294.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Fermented feed.jpg
    Fermented feed.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 5
We grow it only in the winter months when everything green dies. We're in Wisconsin and the birds free range in the summer.

We bought 50# of hard red winter wheat from our feed mill. I bought trays on Amazon to make it easier for me, but I've seen it done with cookie sheets and similar things.

I also ferment in quart jars daily in the winter, and weekly in the summer. I use Kalmbacks Henhouse Reserve, add more BOSS and some 6-grain scratch, plus some of that wheat. I fill the jars 1/3 to 1/2 full, fill with unchlorinated water, stir daily, and serve on the 4th day.
I want to try fermenting some day. We're gonna start growing sprouts during winter. Mainly for our geese but the chickens will enjoy it to lol Were just not sure what to start with cause we see all these things about wheat, wheat grass, oats, wheat berries, rye etc We have alot of vegetable seeds so we may try those as well as bird feed and BOSS.

I want to try fermenting some day. We're gonna start growing sprouts during winter. Mainly for our geese but the chickens will enjoy it to lol Were just not sure what to start with cause we see all these things about wheat, wheat grass, oats, wheat berries, rye etc We have alot of vegetable seeds so we may try those as well as bird feed and BOSS.
I've recently seen folks doing Chia and Flax seed and want to try that as they are nutritious too, but more expensive.

Whatever you choose to do when you ferment, I'd advise don't put dried mealworms or BSF (black soldier flies) in there. I did it once and will never do it again. They float to the top of the jar and become totally gross to me. 🤢

Back
Top Bottom