Booted Bantam Thread

Pics

Phoenix Farms

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 11, 2012
Southern Illinois
For those of you who don't know, BB's are just muff and beardless D'Uccles. They tend to weigh a little more and have longer necks. I own both D'Uccles and Booteds and I love them just the same. So come here to ask questions, show pictures and tell us about your Booted Bantams!

My Porcelain Booted Pair, Bonnie & Clyde

Last edited:
Funny the Poots I have come from a flock of third generation Duccles. Only in this generation have they appeared. Perhaps I was not clear, but well aware that poots are a founding breed of the Duccle. Just because you rename something does not change what it really is. By calling them Sable poots we are honoring the hardwork not the theft. We can all copy paste and google. Nevr have been a fan of PC.
I guess if it's good enough to say once, it bears repeating. At least that was the Nazis philosophy. They believed that if you repeat something enough, eventually people will believe it. Whether it's true or not is immaterial.

Others have posted incorrect information too. You are not the only one, even if one of your statements happens to be correct.

My information does not come from google. It comes from the Standard of Perfection, the Bantam Standard, the Belgian d'Uccle and Booted Bantam club, and other scholarly references. No matter though where it really came from, because the information I post is correct and can be verified, unlike the misinformation that cannot, because it is false.

Non-bearded birds do occasionally occur in d'Uccle breeding. They can and have been used in Booted breeding programs, but they are not the source of 90% of Booted Bantams. My statements can be verified with references. Where are the references to support the claim that d'Uccles gave rise to 90% of Booted Bantams in this country? You can claim a bird to be of any breed that you like, but it doesn't make it so. Generations of breeding to the Standard do that, as well as verification from AP/BA licensed judges.

Referring to the breed as Sablepoots is pretentious and smarmy. It is not the correct term for the breed in the US, period. I guarantee if you enter them at any AP/BA sanctioned show, they will not be judged against the other Booted Bantams, as that term is not recognized by any licensed judge. They will be judged seperately, you will win BB Sablepoot being the only one there who has entered that breed, and will go no further, cheating yourself out of possible higher awards, assuming that the birds warrant it, simply to prove a point. They call that biting off your nose to smite your face.

Although similar, there are some differences in type between the two breeds. One is not simply a beardless version of the other. Read the Standards to learn more.

I agree with Phoenix. There is a way to bring correct information to the discussion without talking down to someone. This isn't life or death. It's supposed to be relaxing and enjoyable.

BTW I found where I read about the V and U shaped backs. I got them backwards. The d'uccle is supposed to have the V shape and the booted bantam the U shape. It's on the D'uccle and Booted Bantam Club website in the history section and the sections that describe the two standards.

Here's my little one. It was given to me by someone who didn't have a clue what kind of chicken it was or exactly how old. So I'm not sure how old still but guessing 8 weeks by the feathering (it was half-feathered when I got it several weeks ago so I guessed 3-4 weeks at that time). I was also told it was a girl when I picked it up but it's always looked like a roo to me. Most recent pics are from the first day in a new coop so he's on alert and then he got sleepy and decided to take a nap on the roost (pooped from the move). I don't have any others to compare it to for age/gender so if anyone out there has some insight, I'd appreciate the input. Do they mature at a different rate than larger birds? I've never had a bantam before, just standards. Red comb, upright posture (probably the breed that's throwing me) but no pointy hackle or saddle feathers coming in yet - everything coming in under the first set is round. Too soon? Thought I heard a crow the other day but could have been mistaken. THOUGH, lol, I did get a distress call out of him this morning when dragging a feed bag into the coop, the funniest little, squeaky Ba-KAWK I've ever heard! He's such an adorable little bird that flies up to my shoulder every time I enter the coop. Love, him.

Same baby on 9/1/14 (6 weeks?)

And on 8/10/14 (3 weeks?)

Hi,
I am getting two show quality pairs of Booted Bantams next week. A White pair and Golden Neck pair. I am going to enter them in the Smithfield, NC show. This will be my first show. I very excited.

Back
Top Bottom