Booted Bantam Thread

These are my hens, Millefleur and Lavender in color.

I have a small flock of Mille Fleur Booted Bantams which I hatched from a trio from Master breeder and president of Booted Bantam/d"Uccle club Karl Urshel. They're nice birds and I'm going to begin breeding self blue and porcelain eventually. I have a few extra roos since I'm not breeding back to the same line. If anyone would like some really nice roosters or young cockerels about seven months old, I'll be happy to ship them. I'm in California if you are inclined to pick up, that can be arranged too. Sorry for the bad picture, taken with a phone, it's not great and using flash doesn't help either. Just PM me. David
Hey! I just bought an order of eggs off of ebay with the same picture! So it must be you! Small world

Let me know how they did for you. Some report very good results and others not so much. I think postal handling and incubator set ups vary too much to be consistent, but I got some hatches at 100%! They are still laying and I've got breeding pens set up. If you want more, let me know.

http://www.belgianduccle.org/page8.html

Booted Bantam: {This name is the same in many countries but in Holland it is called Dutch Booted Sabelpoot}
The breed was brought to Holland in the 17th century from China or Burma. Mr. E. C. Aldrich, Hyde Park, Massachusetts, was breeding the Booted Bantam as early as 1836. The breed was admitted to the American Poultry Associations Standard of Perfection in 1879 in the White Variety only. The standard weight of the bird is Cock 1 lb. 10 oz. / 740 grams; Cockerel and Hen, 1 lb. 6 oz./ 625 grams; Pullet 1 lb. 4 oz./570 grams. These are the weights that should be maintain for healthy birds and show weight.
The American Poultry Association in the Standard of Perfection list only the following Varieties:

1879 White
1914 Mille Fleur
1965 Porcelain
1996 Black
1996 Self Blue

Belgian d'Uccle Bantam: { Belgian Bearded d'Uccle in the United States}

The Belgian d’Uccle Bantam was bred for the first time in the small municipality of Uccle at the southeast border of Brussels, Belgium by Michel Van Gelder, sometime between 1890 and 1900. The ‘d’ in front of d’Uccle means from or of (Uccle). If you happen to be in Belgium, the 'd' is dropped, and they are simply referred to as 'Uccles'. Most authors believe that the Belgian d’Uccle Bantam is a cross between the Dutch Booted Sabelpoot Bantam and the Antwerp Bearded Bantam, but this fact is not known for sure. Mr. Van Gelder traveled to many English and German poultry shows and the chance Dutch Booted Sabelpoot Bantam actually originated from somewhere in Asia and remains that some breeding material could have originated from either country. The is believed to contain some Japanese Bantam blood. So the d'Uccle has both Asian and Belgian roots.
The first varieties of Belgian d’Uccles were the Mille Fleur, Porcelain, and White, but the Mille Fleur was the first variety entered into the American Poultry Association's Standards of Perfection in 1914. This was thirty-five years after the entrance of the Booted Bantam (a distinctly different breed from the Belgian d'Uccle). I mention this because sometimes the Booted Bantam and the Belgian d'Uccle are confused with one another.

The standard weight of the bird is Cock 1 lb. 10 oz. / 740 grams;
Cockerel and Hen, 1 lb. 6 oz./ 625 grams; Pullet 1 lb. 4 oz./570 grams. These are the weights that should be maintain for healthy birds and show weight.

Although the weights of the TWO BREEDS are the same ONE MUST always keep in mind that these are TWO DIFFERENT BREEDS and there are Major differences in the two Breeds. The Booted Bantam has no Beard, has Large Wattles, is Taller and has a "U" shape between the head / neck and tail. Because there is d'Anver blood in the d'Uccle bantams the d'Uccle is a shorter bird, has a broader breast, Bull neck, very, very small wattles (or none) and a "V" shape between the Head/neck and Tail.

This is how the d'Uccles were entered into the APA Standard of Perfection by year:
1914 Mille Fleur
1981 White
1965 Porcelain
1996 Black
1996 Golden Neck
1996 Self Blue
1996 Mottled

The American Bantam Association recognized these varieties above and also Blue, Buff, and Gray as early as 1985.
Other varieties that have been showing up in the show rooms are: Quail, Brown Red, Butterscotch, Blue Mille Fleur, Buff Columbian, Columbian, Red, Blue Red, Blue Red Mottled, Blue Mottled, and Silver Mille. Also Rose Comb d'Uccles have starting to show up in the show rooms in Mille Fleur and Mottled varieties so far, this is a new breed all its own and no standard has been submitted to date.

Back
Top Bottom