Booted Bantam Thread

Eek, I can offically join this group, my sablepoot egg hatch this morning (under my broody pekin), the second is pipping at the minute :0) can't wait to get a picture to share but mum is doing her job well and wont let me see! Haha!

Here's my little one. It was given to me by someone who didn't have a clue what kind of chicken it was or exactly how old. So I'm not sure how old still but guessing 8 weeks by the feathering (it was half-feathered when I got it several weeks ago so I guessed 3-4 weeks at that time). I was also told it was a girl when I picked it up but it's always looked like a roo to me. Most recent pics are from the first day in a new coop so he's on alert and then he got sleepy and decided to take a nap on the roost (pooped from the move). I don't have any others to compare it to for age/gender so if anyone out there has some insight, I'd appreciate the input. Do they mature at a different rate than larger birds? I've never had a bantam before, just standards. Red comb, upright posture (probably the breed that's throwing me) but no pointy hackle or saddle feathers coming in yet - everything coming in under the first set is round. Too soon? Thought I heard a crow the other day but could have been mistaken. THOUGH, lol, I did get a distress call out of him this morning when dragging a feed bag into the coop, the funniest little, squeaky Ba-KAWK I've ever heard! He's such an adorable little bird that flies up to my shoulder every time I enter the coop. Love, him.

Same baby on 9/1/14 (6 weeks?)

And on 8/10/14 (3 weeks?)

this is my girl...i wish i could find a roo her color..

These are my 5wk old babies. I think one will probably develop a beard, but my favorite is definitely beardless. Mom had a muff and beard, but dad had none.

One of my English bantam lays the same size eggs as my light Brahma... My new booted girls should start to lay in a couple of months.... I go to a feed store where they order assorted bantams . I pick up only the ones that look super cute and with boots... So far I have been getting lucky on the ones I've been getting...

Back
Top Bottom