Bootin' a broody chicken out of the nestbox.

lindseythefork

Songster
11 Years
Aug 31, 2008
Humboldt County, CA
Disclaimer: we have no rooster.

My Jersey Giant hen refuses to leave the nest box. I don't know how many times I've gone out there and moved her out of the coop. Eggs or no eggs under her, she's always in there. What gives?? Should I just let her be or what? I worry about her getting skinny from not pecking around all day like the other girls.

ive heard to break them you can put them in a small cage (like one for transporting or quarantine) with no bedding or straw in it - just some food and water and they will eventually give in and give up (for a while) or you could give in and get her some fertilized eggs!!!
jumpy.gif

Quote:
I've thought about putting some eggs under her.. right now I am trying to catch a racoon (although I am ended up with the neighborhood skunk population instead) so I don't think we're prepared for it just yet. I'd rather her just lay some eggs and eat some bugs!

Best way to break a hen of broodiness is a cage, but it should be one with a wire bottom, and up off the ground. This way she can't sit and hold heat under her. Or yes, fertile eggs if you can get them
big_smile.png

my BR and RIR went broody a week ago or so, no one is laying because they are molting so I closed the door on them, they are forced to stay outside, they got over it!

I have my first batch of chickens..they hatched in Feb. this year. Would a hen go broody this young? Also it is very hot and although I would really like chicks (really) Im afraid my hen will be in real heat trouble if I let her try to sit in there without moving around. She got on yesterday, has about 3 eggs under her (not all hers) and has been on there all night. I hope it isnt that she is egg bound or something. Any thoughts? Kick her off and wait til spring?

Quote:
Yes. My cage is actually built into the coop. It started out as a brooder (with a tray on the bottom that I can take out), now it just sits there and is used for whatever I need it for.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom