Bottle feeding baby goats

At 8 days old I usually feed only 3 times a day. You could be feeding too much. They will always seem like they are hungry, too much will cause scours. What brand are you using? Is it a miniature or a standard. I always pulled a second baby for the one to have company otherwise it will always be alone and an outsider. Goats form strong bonds with their mother and siblings, not with other goats.

I am using Manna Pro Kid milk from the local TSC. 3 times a day of how much?

I only have the one that didn't take to momma so unless I find another one locally it will always be a loner. That's to bad.I was hoping as she got older and bigger the others would take to her.

At 4 pounds it should get 3 ounces 4 times a day. Than you can slowly start to increase it as it puts on weight and grows, going to 3 times a day and 6 ounces. I would get it stabilized and not scouring first.

Last edited:
I'm also looking for some help. I have a 3 week old bottle baby and I've been feeding him the milk replaced and he now has diarrhea. I was reading up on it and I've found that the Replacer is not good for him so I want to switch from the replacer to whole cows milk but I'm not sure how. I got him some electrolytes so hopefully hat takes care of the diarrhea. I also haven't found an exact amount to feed him. He's a 3 week old fainting goat. He's acting normal but has the diarrhea. Any help is appreciated!!

Diarrhea is usually from feeding them too much, mixing replacer improperly or feeding a low quality one. My guess is you are feeding too much. I only use replacer and haven't had any problems. You will get diarrhea if you feed too much milk as well. Switching is as easy as mixing the two together over the course of a few days, slowly upping the milk and lowering the replacer. Any changes in feed can kill goats if not done slowly.

At three weeks you should be feeding 4-6 ounces 3-4 Times a day based on weight.

I'm also looking for some help. I have a 3 week old bottle baby and I've been feeding him the milk replaced and he now has diarrhea. I was reading up on it and I've found that the Replacer is not good for him so I want to switch from the replacer to whole cows milk but I'm not sure how. I got him some electrolytes so hopefully hat takes care of the diarrhea. I also haven't found an exact amount to feed him. He's a 3 week old fainting goat. He's acting normal but has the diarrhea. Any help is appreciated!!
Some kids do fine on replacer and some don't. I fed my kids just plain old cow milk from the store and they did just fine on it. This is a formula for kids used by many breeders of Boers and mini goats and most kids thrive on it. You take a gallon jug of whole milk you get from the store. Pour off about a quart. Add a cup of buttermilk and a can of evaporated milk to the jug and shake it up to mix. Then fill the jug up with some of the milk you poured off. For the diarrhea you can give him some kaopectate or pepto bismol. If the diahrrea is from simple indigestion, that should help.

Some kids do fine on replacer and some don't. I fed my kids just plain old cow milk from the store and they did just fine on it. This is a formula for kids used by many breeders of  Boers and mini goats and most kids thrive on it.  You take a gallon jug of whole milk you get from the store. Pour off about a quart.  Add a cup of buttermilk and a can of evaporated milk to the jug and shake it up to mix.  Then fill the jug up with some of the milk you poured off. For the diarrhea you can give him some kaopectate or pepto bismol. If the diahrrea is from simple indigestion, that should help.

I switched him to whole milk and the diarehea cleared up. I'm feeding him the same amounts I've been feeding. I did a lot of research and found that the Milk Replacer can cause the diarrhea. He seems much better with the milk. Thank you for your help!

Diarrhea is usually from feeding them too much, mixing replacer improperly or feeding a low quality one. My guess is you are feeding too much. I only use replacer and haven't had any problems. You will get diarrhea if you feed too much milk as well. Switching is as easy as mixing the two together over the course of a few days, slowly upping the milk and lowering the replacer. Any changes in feed can kill goats if not done slowly.

At three weeks you should be feeding 4-6 ounces 3-4 Times a day based on weight.

He was getting 3 oz of Replacer 4 times a day. I switched to the cows milk and the diarrhea cleared up. He's getting more than 3 oz now. I think the Replacer just wasn't good for him.

I took in a baby goat when she was 2 days old a family friend didn't have time to baby feed her the momma rejected her she eats well, she stands but doesn't walk she won't move she don't get up on her own unless I stand her up but she doesn't stand for long she flops down any suggestions

Back
Top Bottom