Bought used coop, seeking advice on building a run

HoneyTree

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 22, 2011
Northwest Arkansas
Hi, all.

I bought a coop from a friend who was moving, and I'm having a hard time envisioning how I'm going to build a run to accompany it. I have the standard 4' chain link fence all around my yards, and big dogs on two of the three sides, so I don't see much free-ranging in our future. I have very, very basic woodworking tools and that ubiquitous "small budget" criterion. I'll have five hens, total. Being able to move something around the yard might be nice, but it's not a requirement. Here's a picture of what I'm working with. Can anyone help me figure out what a simple, inexpensive, workable run might look like? And would I just take the birds out every morning and place them in the run for the day, if I weren't able to build something attached to it? Thanks for any advice.

All I did for mine was buy about 8 7ft tee-post and some chicken wire. The area for mine is 20'x15' with the coop being right in the middle. I built a door using an old screen door and scrap wood from around the house. I also just lined around the bottom of my fencing with some old bricks and tree limbs from from around the house to keep the chickens in and the predators out. My coop was brand new in a box the hardware store just wanted rid of so got it for a good price, all in all for everything I have around $100 wrapped up in everything. Tools used were a saw, screwdriver, screws,hammer,shovel,pliers, and a sledgehammer. By the looks of yours you could easily just add wire around the bottom of your coop and just add a hole and a ramp I had a similar option with my coop but am glad I gave em a run and I think the chickens are happy too. Good luck.

By the way if you get t-post make sure they have the hooks molded right onto them I didn't and sure wish I would've.

Try looking on craigslist you might be able to find an old dog kennel or panels that you can just set up around the coop, the sky is the limit as far as size goes.

Hi, all. I bought a coop from a friend who was moving, and I'm having a hard time envisioning how I'm going to build a run to accompany it. I have the standard 4' chain link fence all around my yards, and big dogs on two of the three sides, so I don't see much free-ranging in our future. I have very, very basic woodworking tools and that ubiquitous "small budget" criterion. I'll have five hens, total. Being able to move something around the yard might be nice, but it's not a requirement. Here's a picture of what I'm working with. Can anyone help me figure out what a simple, inexpensive, workable run might look like? And would I just take the birds out every morning and place them in the run for the day, if I weren't able to build something attached to it? Thanks for any advice. If you want to move the coop around, you may want to consider enclosing the bottom part with half inch hardware cloth. Put a chicken sized door in the bottom of the coop along with a ramp, and you got it. You could always make a larger play yard around it, but the mesh underneath would keep them contained when you want them to be...and as it would be covered, it would keep them safe from hawks.

Back
Top Bottom