Brahma or serama cockerel? Help me decide which one

Pics
Well, sweet little Slumber moved off the nest sometime during the night. The first 2 chicks hopped out, and she of course followed…. leaving the 2 remaining eggs. When I discovered it, the eggs were cool to my touch. I always have an incubator set up and running just for these situations (since one of my other Serama hens, Seasons, did it twice due to the excitement of her first chicks hatching each time). I candled them for movement (both embryos were alive) and placed them into the incubator. I’m hoping they will still be able to hatch. Fingers crossed. I hope this is information will be useful. My Serama hens are amazing mothers, but I’ve had to prepare (incubator, etc) each time they go broody. In my experience, once a Serama hen is off the nest tending to her first chicks, she disregards the remaining eggs. Frustrating, but I monitor pretty close and manage to rescue eggs in enough time to finish incubation.

Last edited:
Well, sweet little Slumber moved off the nest sometime during the night. The first 2 chicks hopped out, and she of course followed…. leaving the 2 remaining eggs. When I discovered it, the eggs were cool to my touch. I always have an incubator set up and running just for these situations (since one of my other Serama hens, Seasons, did it twice due to the excitement of her first chicks hatching each time). I candled them for movement (both embryos were alive) and placed them into the incubator. I’m hoping they will still be able to hatch. Fingers crossed. I hope this is information will be useful. My Serama hens are amazing mothers, but I’ve had to prepare (incubator, etc) each time they go broody. In my experience, once a Serama hen is off the nest tending to her first chicks, she disregards the remaining eggs. Frustrating, but I monitor pretty close and manage to rescue eggs in enough time finish incubation.
I've had the same experience with my OEGB.

Well, sweet little Slumber moved off the nest sometime during the night. The first 2 chicks hopped out, and she of course followed…. leaving the 2 remaining eggs. When I discovered it, the eggs were cool to my touch. I always have an incubator set up and running just for these situations (since one of my other Serama hens, Seasons, did it twice due to the excitement of her first chicks hatching each time). I candled them for movement (both embryos were alive) and placed them into the incubator. I’m hoping they will still be able to hatch. Fingers crossed. I hope this is information will be useful. My Serama hens are amazing mothers, but I’ve had to prepare (incubator, etc) each time they go broody. In my experience, once a Serama hen is off the nest tending to her first chicks, she disregards the remaining eggs. Frustrating, but I monitor pretty close and manage to rescue eggs in enough time finish incubation.

Good to know. Are they good with accepting new chicks in?

Good to know. Are they good with accepting new chicks in?
The only time I attempted it was when I had a very young hen (she wasn’t even broody yet) accept 4 that I incubated myself. She showed intense interest from the time they first hatched. She taught them everything. It was amazing to watch. Here’s Seasons standing on top of the incubator. She watched them until I put them into the brooder. Then, I placed her with them and she took to them right away!
IMG_8013.jpeg

The only time I attempted it was when I had a very young hen (she wasn’t even broody yet) accept 4 that I incubated myself. She showed intense interest from the time they first hatched. She taught them everything. It was amazing to watch. Here’s Seasons standing on top of the incubator. She watched them until I put them into the brooder. Then, I placed her with them and she took to them right away!
View attachment 3571513

Oh my gosh! How young was she! Thats so cool!

I hope everything turned out well.
Like you, I had the incubator going so... But that was a lesson learned from a previous experience.

An egg was pipped and starting to zip but got kicked out of the nest. I put it back and went to work. Came home and the egg was kicked out again, and cold. No movement. I took it out and started to do an eggtopsy, when I noticed the chick was still, if barely, alive. And missing several toes from being pecked at.

I cupped him in my hand and breathed on him to warm him up as I got the incubator going. Slowly, he started to move. I didn't have much faith in him making it, but I put him in the incubator and he made a full recovery! His name is Precious. :)

Back
Top Bottom