Brahma or serama cockerel? Help me decide which one

Honestly the fact that broodies let them is
Thank you!! I gave in to a few of my teeny girls, and I’m letting them follow through. The others crowd into the nesting buckets when I’m not around (the 2 broodies let them do it), so I think I’ll just move the broodies and their eggs very soon to allow them some well-deserved peace. Below, you’ll see my Mille Fleur d’Uccle (Ruby) on 2 Serama eggs and 1 of hers.
View attachment 3600520

something that my very very limited experience with broodies leads me to believe is a bantam trait more than any thing. I don't think that'd flu with an LF hen

My experience with bantam and LF is that, yes, my teeny girls are more accepting of allowing other hens in their nests. They’re way too sweet, even as they brood. The closer hatch day comes, I’ll be ready to move hens and eggs to the “safe room” away from way-to-curious flock mates and tiny invading broody hens. These days, I separate the girls as the eggs near hatch day. The last time I allowed a hen to hatch with the flock…. my blue slate turkey (who was on the small side) and LF eggs. Even then, I moved her and the LF chicks right after they hatched. I worry too much about chick safety.

Here’s Rubys 1st Serama chick!
IMG_0981.jpeg

IMG_0984.jpeg

They are all so adorable! ❤️ My Serama (and additional bantam) chick count is up to 17 during the last few weeks, with a few more to hatch. THEN I’M DONE for awhile!! And, I’m NOT changing my mind about it either!! I’ve got precious teeny fluffballs both in the Serama building AND a brooder. PLUS, I have a Budgie egg less than a week from hatch (that one will be a full-time job for awhile). One note…. I wouldn’t have it any other way!

Back
Top Bottom