Brahma Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all Missed the threads my mom Had a heart attack and 4 stints put in so i have been away from home and my putor barely worked in the hospital ....

but i am back i love the discussion about vulture hocks and have been looking at my birds really strong so far i do not have them and now know to cull those birds . Thank you for that info as i have never even heard about them before. Tammy
Tammy sorry about your mom, hope she is ok.

Sara , Welcome love these birds ... Do you have a bator ? maybe eggs would be a fun way to go or there are some here on this list
the only thing i would say is stay away from hatchery stock, but that is up to you and your Purpose in what you want the birds for .
I hope you get a few emails from breeders that way you can get genetic diversity in your flock ,. Tammy

Thanks for the welcome Tammy. I have a mini dome bator that takes only 4 eggs, but its hard (as in kind of impossible) to regulate temp and moisture, so it doesn't work very well. Just got it for an experiment with my son. I do have a mature LB hen who is making signs of going broody, so I may get lucky in that way. I kind of need something for Bert, my young BB roo, sooner than hatching is going to take though.
He is frustrated now, and I don't want the tussling going on between him and my LB young roo to turn into actual fighting over the one pullet - a LB. Plus, once we have moved and I have the space to sequester the two young LB's for breeding, Bert is going to be all alone. Maybe I need to get him a temporary companion of another breed. I too prefer to stay away from hatchery stock. I love my mature LB's, which were hatchery stock, via a neighbor. But I've fallen in love with the breed, and want to preserve the genetics. Plus, hatchery stock so often is not healthy. My young brahmas are show quality. I'm not going to being showing, just want to expand my own flock while preserving the line. Yes, genetic diversity would be good. Thanks, Sara
Sara not clear but think you are saying your bb rooster is from show stock ? well if you want you can breed him to a light brahma hen hopefully show stock as well !!! then you can keep all the pullets they will be buff brahmas cull down for the very best ones !!! from the cross get rid of your males eat them !!! or something for they will be lights brahmas with brass wings not good !!! . then breed the pullets back to a buff brahma rooster . the chicks will be buffs but still CULL out any white on males and only keep the very best pullets and cockerels . there is the split to light gene but thats more then you need to know for what you are doing with what you want this year ??? then try to locate some other buff brahmas between this spring and next year show stock would be the best. in the fall there will be APA AND ABA shows go there its your best chance for quality stock buffs and lights . there are a few good breeders on her with some beautiful birds ask them im sure they will help you out get the POULTRY PRESS and join the AMERICAN BRAHMA CLUB THEY BOTH WILL GIVE YOU A LOT OF CONTACTS FOR QUALITY BIRDS. but watch out after show quality gets in your blood you wont ever look at hatchery stock the same way ever !!! then if you can try not to breed your show stock to your hatchery stock as it will only reduce the quality of your birds!!! hope this helps you some john w

Wow, I didn't realize that buff brahma pullets could be produced by mating a buff brahma roo with a light brahma hen. I guess I'll have to get a "companion" bird for whichever roo is not in the breeding pen, and change off Bert and "Little Roo" (the SQ LB) with the LB hen in the breeding pen. Good to know. And yes, then I'll be on the watch for additional SQ breeding stock, both LB and BB . My mature LB roo from hatchery stock will be "retired" at the time of the move, once I have the breeding pens, a brooder pen, and separate larger pens for growers and layers (at present have only two small coops and runs, and the birds are all mingling while freeranging). I'll be using my present small coops for incoming birds, for "hospital" care, and such. The mature LB hens will go in with the layers, where I will only be collecting eggs for eating. For my own stock I'll be only gathering eggs from the breeding pens where I'll have intentional pairings. Thank you for all the input! Sara

Wow, I didn't realize that buff brahma pullets could be produced by mating a buff brahma roo with a light brahma hen. I guess I'll have to get a "companion" bird for whichever roo is not in the breeding pen, and change off Bert and "Little Roo" (the SQ LB) with the LB hen in the breeding pen. Good to know. And yes, then I'll be on the watch for additional SQ breeding stock, both LB and BB . My mature LB roo from hatchery stock will be "retired" at the time of the move, once I have the breeding pens, a brooder pen, and separate larger pens for growers and layers (at present have only two small coops and runs, and the birds are all mingling while freeranging). I'll be using my present small coops for incoming birds, for "hospital" care, and such. The mature LB hens will go in with the layers, where I will only be collecting eggs for eating. For my own stock I'll be only gathering eggs from the breeding pens where I'll have intentional pairings. Thank you for all the input! Sara
just remember if you switch the hen from lb to buff brahma rooster there is about two weeks that you wont hatch eggs. to make sure the hen will only be laying buffs no sing of your light brahma left in the works lol. and after the chicks hatch if possible keep the buffs and lights separate so you know witch ones are the light buff cross males so you dont have to feed them till grown and can get rid of them !!! thanks john w

Ok brahma keepers...need some insight. We have 6 brahmas (hatchery) about 2 years old, all hens. They are kept together. I forgot to open the water spout 2 days ago so they went 1 full day without water (no longer than that). The next morning, the biggest hen was down and had been terribly pecked by the others. They were all so happy....
Now we arent sure if she has any eyeballs left. Seriously. Her eyes are so swollen when my mom tried to open one of the eyelids the hen flipped out. We have her separated and are giving her water and food since shes blind. We wonder if we shouldnt just go ahead and put her down and let her life be useful (for food) rather thsn jyst waiting it out and run the risk of a wasted death.
Has anyone ever had s flock turn on one, and could it be because of the water?
Should we go ahead and cull?
I have a pictute of her swollen eyes and pecked, bloody head but it wont upload.
Help, and thanks. It all happened yesterday.

just remember if you switch the hen from lb to buff brahma rooster there is about two weeks that you wont hatch eggs. to make sure the hen will only be laying buffs no sing of your light brahma left in the works lol. and after the chicks hatch if possible keep the buffs and lights separate so you know witch ones are the light buff cross males so you dont have to feed them till grown and can get rid of them !!! thanks john w
Thank you! Sara

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom