Brahma Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I am new to Brahmas (this summer) with a pair of Bantam Buffs, some LF Buff pullets and a pair of Partridge LF. The Partridge were hatched some time this summer and I am wondering if the cockerel has the right type comb. I know the pullet's comb is not right - I bought her that way. She was the only one hatched at the farm where they knew her comb was wrong. But now I'm not sure about the big boy. They came from established exhibition breeders.

I always appreciate the help from this group! Thanks

65741_an_chickens_jan_2011_049.jpg

65741_an_chickens_jan_2011_051.jpg

Last edited:
I<3maura :

Hello,

I am new to Brahmas (this summer) with a pair of Bantam Buffs, some LF Buff pullets and a pair of Partridge LF. The Partridge were hatched some time this summer and I am wondering if the cockerel has the right type comb. I know the pullet's comb is not right - I bought her that way. She was the only one hatched at the farm where they knew her comb was wrong. But now I'm not sure about the big boy. They came from established exhibition breeders.

I always appreciate the help from this group! Thanks

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/65741_an_chickens_jan_2011_049.jpg

Yep. Should be a pea comb with 3 distinct rows, tight and small against the skull.
smile.png

I'm very glad to see Partridge Brahmas suddenly become more common.​

The male's comb is fine. It is a pea comb. Like you pointed out, the females looks to be single.

Very nice coloring on you Partridge LF, the roosters comb is correct, pea, close to the head. Though the hen has a single comb.

Illia - I must agree Partridge are my favorite color variety of Brahma's, I'm glad to see it coming back.

Just a little on the Large fowl Brahma, you will not see very many Large Brahma with as good of a comb as the bantam. Notice the male comb here the center row is higher than the two outside rows, this is correct.

The female has a straight comb because the partridge are a newer color for the Brahma and there are other breed involved in getting the color, the male looks very nice from what I can see. Don

Thank you all for your replies. I'm happy that his comb is correct. The breeder assured me that the hen would be able to produce correct combs but I would assume that chance would lessen if she were bred to a roo with an incorrect comb. I'm am only planning to breed to add a couple to our flock and provide some birds for local 4-H kids but want them to be as nice as possible. My daughters may show at our county fair and maybe an open show or two.

I understand the comment re: bantam vs. LF. To me the bantams look like art! They are beautiful birds and while I did not plan on them, I do have a pair of Bantam Buffs that were headed to the auction when I picked up my Partridge. Love them to death although the hen has gone broody, sitting on 9 eggs, and looks terrible. When she does venture out her roo protects her from the other chickens who have been pecking her head. Not sure if I should try to break her up or not. She is my absolute favorite chicken. I do keep food and water in front of her in her nest.

My Buff LF are at a friend's house and just laid their first egg today. At this point we are guessing they are all hens. We thought we were buying them from a breeder but it turns out the lady buys hatchery birds and then sells them. I can see a difference in quality between them and my Partridge hen. Maybe the right roo could produce some better birds.

Anyway, thanks again and here are a couple more pics of the Partridge. I have yet to get a photo of the roo that does him justice - he is really growing into a handsome man.

65741_an_chickens_jan_2011_008.jpg

65741_an_chickens_jan_2011_010.jpg

65741_an_chickens_jan_2011_029.jpg

I<3maura :

Thank you all for your replies. I'm happy that his comb is correct. The breeder assured me that the hen would be able to produce correct combs but I would assume that chance would lessen if she were bred to a roo with an incorrect comb. I'm am only planning to breed to add a couple to our flock and provide some birds for local 4-H kids but want them to be as nice as possible. My daughters may show at our county fair and maybe an open show or two.

I understand the comment re: bantam vs. LF. To me the bantams look like art! They are beautiful birds and while I did not plan on them, I do have a pair of Bantam Buffs that were headed to the auction when I picked up my Partridge. Love them to death although the hen has gone broody, sitting on 9 eggs, and looks terrible. When she does venture out her roo protects her from the other chickens who have been pecking her head. Not sure if I should try to break her up or not. She is my absolute favorite chicken. I do keep food and water in front of her in her nest.

My Buff LF are at a friend's house and just laid their first egg today. At this point we are guessing they are all hens. We thought we were buying them from a breeder but it turns out the lady buys hatchery birds and then sells them. I can see a difference in quality between them and my Partridge hen. Maybe the right roo could produce some better birds.

Anyway, thanks again and here are a couple more pics of the Partridge. I have yet to get a photo of the roo that does him justice - he is really growing into a handsome man.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/65741_an_chickens_jan_2011_008.jpg

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/65741_an_chickens_jan_2011_010.jpg

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/65741_an_chickens_jan_2011_029.jpg

Just beautiful birds. So the Partridge Brahmas are marked the same (pencilling) as the Dark Brahmas, just with a different base color? Is this correct?​

Nice Roo - Yes, the Partridge are the same as the dark color without the silver/Black and white under color. They have Gold/Red and White bases.

Quote:
Dark Brahmas are simply a Silver Partridge, they're not called it because Partridge itself is not accepted in the APA.

Partridge is basically the Golden version. The only difference in the two is two alleles.
wink.png
(gold vs silver)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom