Brahma Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
These look like pretty good buff large fowl. I show all over the country and have not seen good standard buff brahmas since Bill Mayer was showing them. I know pictures are hard tell but they look awfully good to me.

Jonathan Patterson

Seems like I haven't been on here in a long time and now I have back to back questions.

My Bantam Buff Brahma hen (hands down favorite chicken here) has been broody for a few weeks now. She has 9 eggs in one of the nestboxes and sits except for rare trips out to eat and drink (she also has food and water in front of her in the coop). I've noticed the other chickens picking on her a bit but her rooster generally protects her pretty well.

Tonight I found 2 hens pecking her head and her comb was bloody. Don't know if it's the right thing, but I moved her and her nest into a rabbit hutch inside the horse barn. Any suggestions to help her? Thanks.

I<3maura :

Seems like I haven't been on here in a long time and now I have back to back questions.

My Bantam Buff Brahma hen (hands down favorite chicken here) has been broody for a few weeks now. She has 9 eggs in one of the nestboxes and sits except for rare trips out to eat and drink (she also has food and water in front of her in the coop). I've noticed the other chickens picking on her a bit but her rooster generally protects her pretty well.

Tonight I found 2 hens pecking her head and her comb was bloody. Don't know if it's the right thing, but I moved her and her nest into a rabbit hutch inside the horse barn. Any suggestions to help her? Thanks.

blue cote for the bomb and its probably best to keep her separate with her eggs, maybe let her rooster be with her if he doesn't disturb her, I separated my broodies from the rest of the flock until the chicks were about 5 weeks old, had a bantam campine hatch LF EE chicks, the bantam brahma would of killed the chicks if it weren't for momma chasing her off all the time, so if your birds are already picking on the momma then the chicks wouldn't stand a chance.​

Quote:
How did that hatch go? Been wondering about those chicks...
hu.gif

It didn't - something happened last week with the temperature and I lost all of them. I got one to pip, but it died after that. It was the first time using my new Incubator, so I learned a valuable lesson (THREE THERMOMETERS) not two. I have Darks and Partridge eggs in there now. The best news is they had a 100% fertile rate, which is excellent for my young roo Kermit.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom