Brand new chick family...can you tell us what breeds we have?

Thanks everyone! I'll ask my son if he knows what color egg the little yellow one hatched from.

In the meantime....the little yellow one is NOT looking well. He was fine this AM & when I returned home, in the early afternoon, he/she has not opened it's eyes & seems very weak.

I've given him/her a little sugar water & he/she does drink it but then goes right back to sleeping in your hand. I'm worried that she won't make it. Is there anything else I can do for him/her?

It's breathing is very shallow.

Thanks for any advice.

Just came back in from the garage where my sons (12 & 10) are on chick watch.

The little yellow one (Whisper-10 yr old named her...he believes it is a she:) ) seems to have increased her breathing. I'm hoping that's a good sign. My 10 yr old is sad thinking he will lose her.
sad.png

My 12 year old said he didn't see the shell...it was already out of the shell & in a tub with the others that had hatched. He said there were white & light brown eggs.
He was also told by the teacher that there were Barred Rocks, Marans & Easter Egger varieties in the incubator. He wanted an Easter Egger & they only had a few hatch before Spring break so he will get some of those when he returns to school on the 6th.

I'll come back & see if there are any suggestions on what I can do to help "Whisper".
smile.png

Thank you!

Almost forgot...

The little black fella is sitting next to the "resting" Whisper. He also pecks at her in the beak & eye. Should we separate them? He doesn't do it a lot...just looks like he wants his friend to play & not sleep.

Well, Whisper passed on.
sad.png

My boys were crushed. We had a little funeral for her in the backyard & place a big rock over her site so DS10 can go talk to her. His choice.

Man...this is going to be hard. You get so attached in just a little bit of time to those fluff balls.

Thanks again for everyone support.

Staci

Ohhhh.... Im so sorry. thats to bad. Orpingtons(if thats what she was) are great family birds, and love to be cuddled. Well, mine do anyway, and i have heard that they are "cuddley bears"

Last edited:
Cuckoo marans have white shanks, barred rocks are yellow. The black on the shanks disappears on both breeds are they get older, but you can see the white or yellow underneath the black. Hard to tell in the photo which this one has.

Oooh poor Whisper and your son. I see you live in Michigan, I'm wondering if it was too cold out for the teacher to send chicks home, without preparing kids to have some warm container to carry them in (like insulated lunch bag -something)

When I was little the teacher sent me home with a preserve jar filled with water & guppie fish. It was the last day before the 2 week winter school break. The walk home was about a mile and it was bitter cold, single digit temps. By the time I got home only one was still alive. It was a very heartbreaking way to start the Xmas holiday.

Well, I picked DS up from school & kept the "bring home" box in the house all day to keep it warmish. We are only a 5 minute drive from school. They were under the heat light not too long after. I was worried the garage would be too cold last night but we went out every hour & they were fine & the brooder was about 95-100. This morning it was the same & everyone seemed well.

I called TSC but they don't get chicks until next week around here.
sad.png

DS10 is sad & so is "Bert" (the little black chick). We just put a little stuffed mini teddy bear out with him. He was very curious & pecked at it a few times. We'll go check on him & his new friend in a 1/2 hour & see how they are doing.

Here are a few more pics of Bert...they are from yesterday when we brought them home.

52183_000_0124.jpg

52183_000_0120.jpg

52183_000_0118.jpg

Back
Top Bottom