Breda Fowl thread

Quote: I believe it was! Great to see you on BYC!
smile.png

My bredas are now laying eggs and the fertility is very high. I have one baby that is a blue, but it's face is yellow. I cannot wait to see what it looks like after its first most. It reminds me of an owl.

Now taking orders for BBS Breda Fowl chicks and eggs.

Our breeders are F1 generation imports. 6 years old this year, and still producing! There is something said about longevity and disease resistance!

Contact me for more info or visit my website, to purchase and get on the waiting list before it gets too long!

Thanks!

Now taking orders for BBS Breda Fowl chicks and eggs.

Our breeders are F1 generation imports. 6 years old this year, and still producing! There is something said about longevity and disease resistance!

Contact me for more info or visit my website, to purchase and get on the waiting list before it gets too long!

Thanks!
What is your website?

I'm new on this thread, but I have a question for experienced Breda breeders. I have a black pullet, a blue pullet, and a blue cockerel (almost a year old). I was hatching some Campine eggs, and I had extra room in the incubator for eggs. Since the Breda eggs were showing fertile (bullseye on yolk), I stuck 5 of them in the incubator They all hatched healthy babies. 3 blues and one black. And one yellow one.

He/she has feathered feet and the bump on her beak. Is this a standard Breda color, or is she a cross. The other possibilites are a young true Aracauna cockerel (who doesn't have the breeding thing going yet -- he keeps falling off) or a very large English Orpington Jubilee cockerel. I doubt it was the Orp because the two groups don't usually cross over. I know the parent stock is pure. I know the chicks hatched from eggs from both of the Breda pullets because their eggs are slightly different.

I'm new on this thread, but I have a question for experienced Breda breeders. I have a black pullet, a blue pullet, and a blue cockerel (almost a year old). I was hatching some Campine eggs, and I had extra room in the incubator for eggs. Since the Breda eggs were showing fertile (bullseye on yolk), I stuck 5 of them in the incubator They all hatched healthy babies. 3 blues and one black. And one yellow one.

He/she has feathered feet and the bump on her beak. Is this a standard Breda color, or is she a cross. The other possibilites are a young true Aracauna cockerel (who doesn't have the breeding thing going yet -- he keeps falling off) or a very large English Orpington Jubilee cockerel. I doubt it was the Orp because the two groups don't usually cross over. I know the parent stock is pure. I know the chicks hatched from eggs from both of the Breda pullets because their eggs are slightly different.

The "yellow" chicks is a Splash Breda. This is a result of the Blue Cockerel crossed with the Blue pullet. So...you know which pullet is her mother. It was NOT the black pullet. :)

The blue color in chickens results from an incomplete dominant gene. If a black based chicken gets the diluter gene from one of its parents in the chromosome pairing it is dilute half as much as if it get a copy of the dilutor gene from both parents in the pair.

No dilutor = Black
Dilutor from on parent = Blue
Dilutor from both parents = Splash

Black x black = 100% Black because neither parent had a diluor gene to pass to the offspring
Black x Blue = 50% Blue/50% Black because only the blue parent will pass the dilutor and they will pass the dilutor to half and the black to the other half
Blue x Blue = 25% Black, 50% Blue, 25% Splash because both parents will pass black to half the offspring and the dilutor to half the offspeing to where some get black from both parents some get black from one parent and the dilutor from the other, and so get the dilutor from both parents
Blue X Splash = 50% Blue, 50% Splash
Splash x Splash = 100% Splash
Black x Splash = 100% Blue

The "yellow" chicks is a Splash Breda. This is a result of the Blue Cockerel crossed with the Blue pullet. So...you know which pullet is her mother. It was NOT the black pullet. :)

The blue color in chickens results from an incomplete dominant gene. If a black based chicken gets the diluter gene from one of its parents in the chromosome pairing it is dilute half as much as if it get a copy of the dilutor gene from both parents in the pair.

No dilutor = Black
Dilutor from on parent = Blue
Dilutor from both parents = Splash

Black x black = 100% Black because neither parent had a diluor gene to pass to the offspring
Black x Blue = 50% Blue/50% Black because only the blue parent will pass the dilutor and they will pass the dilutor to half and the black to the other half
Blue x Blue = 25% Black, 50% Blue, 25% Splash because both parents will pass black to half the offspring and the dilutor to half the offspeing to where some get black from both parents some get black from one parent and the dilutor from the other, and so get the dilutor from both parents
Blue X Splash = 50% Blue, 50% Splash
Splash x Splash = 100% Splash
Black x Splash = 100% Blue
Wow. Thank you for the genetic information. I knew I should ask the experts. I'm copying this information into a document for future reference.

And here is what they will look like in 2-3 months.

The splash translates to "salt and pepper" is some languages. It is mostly white with a some flecks of blue/black here and there. The blue is my favorite color in chickens. Good quality blues have a baby blue ground color with thick black lacing on each feather like seen below. Black are... well black. Good quality should have a green sheen to it. Poor quality could have a purple or red sheen to it, but it black all the same. :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom