Mad Scientist
14 Years
Jun 1, 2008
Maine
Here are my newest babies from Greenfire. They are absolutely gorgeous
love.gif

11313_imag0434.jpg

Last edited:
@AllWildAtHeart , @Sylvester017 , I think you are probably both talking about me. Good thing you didn't say anything bad! LOL
Hopefully when it cools down some I'll have some Breda to offer. They are laying really well right now but I really want to try to get them hardier before I hatch more. I do worry a lot about selling a bird that isn't going to stay healthy. I am switching out a couple of cockerels and hope that helps their stability as well. Of course it will take a while for the new breeding project to get off the ground but I hope it makes a huge difference.

A whole month and no posting. Happy Holidays everyone. May your Breda grow strong and lay lots of eggs.

It's so funny you mentioned no posting on this thread! I've been busy PM'ing with private Breda breeders on the subject. Thx for waking us up for THIS thread! Some pics of my Cuckoo Breda:

SEPT - when she was molting and growing in new feathers like crazy!
DSCN9525.JPG

DSCN9526.JPG

TOE FEATHERS COMING IN
DSCN9491.JPG

SOMEONE SEEMS ANNOYED AT HER NEW QUILLS
DSCN9500.JPG

ME - it's interesting to compare notes on breeders. I can say w/o reservation that the healthiest Bredas I have got have been from Chicken Danz - wtg Verna!:cool:
The birds I will be breeding next year are a mix of her birds and the two older hens I got from a friend.
Like you, my mottled hens have died off one by one. I have two left so I will throw them into the mix as well.
Thank you so much. I hadn't checked in here for awhile. I have been working with my Bredas to improve their hardiness and it seems to be paying off. I have quite a crew of girls available right now. I was only using one rooster for the past several months. I had grown a nice blue one up to breeding size but my current rooster managed to cause him to break his neck while arguing with him. I just put a young cockerel in the pen with them in hopes that the older boy would get used to him before he was sexually mature. I had done that with the current rooster and both he and the other boy got along just fine.
I'm working on a mix of breeds right now, mostly based on the LaFleche to breed into some of the current Bredas the current Bredas to recreate the Breda and develop hardier immune systems deleting the chance of avian leukosis. My current breeders seem to be doing very well and I haven't lost any girls for quite some time that I kept for myself. My problem is that many of the other breeds that should be carrying the combless gene are also showing a a V comb. It's going to be difficult to breed that out of them.
I do have a few girls that are upwards to 7-8 years old. I don't think they lay any more but I have no idea really. My "house chicken" One Wing, a black Breda is around 5 and she lays for short periods every now and then. I culled all of my black Breda in my breeder pen because they seemed to be a weak link. However since then, I've produced some black chicks. So much for the BBS rules! I have one black girl that has just started laying well. So the black has been reintroduced.
Speaking of La Fleche, I've come to love that breed as well. They are to say the least a terrible layer!!! but they have similar personalities to Breda and you can definitely see their influence.

Back
Top Bottom