Breda Fowl thread

Pics
I've got one!!!!
jumpy.gif
celebrate.gif
pop.gif

They're all dead!!!!!!!
First time using a broody.
I went back to check and all the ones that had pipped had their beaks out of the shell, mouths open, mom laying on top of them, smothering them.
She wouldn't move for them to get out she just sat there until they all slowly suffocated to death.
5 in all pipped and they're all dead. I tried to resuscitate them somehow, but it didn't work. Beaks hanging open like they'd been gasping for air.
I'm so devastated.........
I won't even lie, I cried.

hit.gif

They're all dead!!!!!!!
I went back to check and all the ones that had pipped had their beaks out of the shell, mouths open, mom laying on top of them, smothering them.
She wouldn't move for them to get out she just sat there until they all slowly suffocated to death.
5 in all pipped and they're all dead. I tried to resuscitate them somehow, but it didn't work. Beaks hanging open like they'd been gasping for air.

hit.gif
5 pips and none made it out. That is very sad.

Is this common in using a broody?
Could it be since this was her first time she didn't know to move off of them so they could breathe?
I wish I would have taken them and brought them inside for lockdown.
I've only ever used an incubator before, but I thought this would break them of their broodiness, I have quite a few on strike not laying eggs.

Is this common in using a broody?
Could it be since this was her first time she didn't know to move off of them so they could breathe?
I wish I would have taken them and brought them inside for lockdown.
I've only ever used an incubator before, but I thought this would break them of their broodiness, I have quite a few on strike not laying eggs.
First time broody's don't always end with success. Okay, any broody hen can fail, but first timers are much more likely. I'm not sure what happened with your hen, but she isn't supposed to move off the eggs while they are hatching. That would cause humidity change, and the chicks could dry into the shell. Suffocation isn't a concern, she can't suffocate them by sitting on them.

Last edited:
So sorry to hear this!!
Is she is in with other hens, they might have chased her off?

It's her and one other broody together in a rabbit hutch each on their own eggs
No other chickens could get in, but they were moving around some.
Guess they got shrink wrapped, but they weren't in there long.
It looks like they were smothered.

They're all dead!!!!!!!

hit.gif

I had no idea you were using a first time broody. I don't raise or hatch eggs but all the readings say that first time broodies are not the ideal moms. That's not to say they couldn't be but the popular consensus is that first timers should not be hatchers of eggs that are dear to you. Any number of things could've caused the deaths and I am so sorry to hear that all were lost! Truly!

Yes first times moms we don't give special eggs either. Really never give broodies any eggs that I really want. Have put eggs in bator at same time as they sit and then stick them under their wings after the hatch. But even with my special chicks , don't do that. To many things can go wrong. Have 4 broodies now after I thought I was done for the year!
But very sorry for your loss.

Thank you all for the support, I love this page
hugs.gif

Every chicken related lesson I have learned the hard way. BUT, live and learn I haven't made the same mistake twice.
Still pretty bummed no more Breda. Guess I just have to give Brie some extra love.
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom