Breda Fowl thread

Pics
yippiechickie.gif

OK - my ultimate question with first eggs from Breda - how much did it weigh for a pullet and what color was it - white/off-white/matte or glossy/cream/or pink tint?

How many eggs per week average?

Baby...my first Blue Breda hens laid her first egg the 17th of December 2012. It was broken by a group of children who visited that day and collected eggs, but a got the weight on the 24th of December at 54 grams. the eggs what WHITE, I was very smooth in texture but I am nit sure if it would be classified as matte/or glossy. That hen recorded 20 eggs in the month of January 2013.

Snowy..Baby's daughter and a Splash Breda laid her first egg December 30th 2013. The eggs was 62 grams. It was white and again very smooth texture. Her monthly egg record is as follows:

Jan 2014 - 17 eggs
Feb 2014 - 21 eggs
Mar 2014 - 19 eggs
Apr 2014 - 19 eggs
May 2014 - 15 eggs
June 2014 - 22 eggs

I will let you do the math on average per week, but as you should know production could slow or stop all together during molts and period of the year with short hours of day light, so the week totals will not be the same all year round.

Note: Baby was sold in February of 2013 but start out at a 6 egg a week hen while her daughter Snowy was only a 5 egg a week hen. selection for laying ability would be able to produce very prolific Breda Hens (6+ eggs a week).

Last edited:
Baby...my first Blue Breda hens laid her first egg the 17th of December 2012. It was broken by a group of children who visited that day and collected eggs, but a got the weight on the 24th of December at 54 grams. the eggs what WHITE, I was very smooth in texture but I am nit sure if it would be classified as matte/or glossy. That hen recorded 20 eggs in the month of January 2013.

Snowy..Baby's daughter and a Splash Breda laid her first egg December 30th 2013. The eggs was 62 grams. It was white and again very smooth texture. Her monthly egg record is as follows:

Jan 2014 - 17 eggs
Feb 2014 - 21 eggs
Mar 2014 - 19 eggs
Apr 2014 - 19 eggs
May 2014 - 15 eggs
June 2014 - 22 eggs

I will let you do the math on average per week, but as you should know production could slow or stop all together during molts and period of the year with short hours of day light, so the week totals will not be the same all year round.

Note: Baby was sold in February of 2013 but start out at a 6 egg a week hen while her daughter Snowy was only a 5 egg a week hen. selection for laying ability would be able to produce very prolific Breda Hens (6+ eggs a week).

This wonderful record of Breda eggs is why I think this mostly non-broody breed is catching on - white eggs, good sized eggs, good layers, easy on the feed bill because of not being a glutonous heavy dual purpose, and ultimately a great temperament. Of course the boys can still be snippy with each other as I've witnessed on youtube videos but overall seems a delightful breed. And other than Sultans I don't know of any other chicken breed with vulture hocks?

Jan 2014 - 17 eggs
Feb 2014 - 21 eggs
Mar 2014 - 19 eggs
Apr 2014 - 19 eggs
May 2014 - 15 eggs
June 2014 - 22 eggs

GrayDean, thanks for the egg info. I haven't kept close records of mine, but they have averaged about 4-5 eggs a day for 7 hens this year. A few days it's 7 so they are definitely good layers. When we had a heat wave a few weeks back they quit laying, but as soon as the temps dropped back to the low 90's and upper 80's they have gone back to laying steady again.

I am selling my breeding group of blues if anyone near northern CA is interested. They are all one to two years. The older are all Greenfire babies. I have about 8 hens and my big blue roo and some juvies. I am keeping the splash and blacks for now, but they will throw these colors for you. Offers taken. email [email protected]

Christine
Rare Feathers - Herald CA

Just shipped my first batch of juveniles Breda's ! Was nerve racking ha ha
Worried about getting the shipping labels right, putting in the right wieght, not mesing up on the address etc. not to talk about figuring out putting the boxes together! Oh my
Hadn't slept right all nigh last night, kept just worrying about if i would do it right and not forget something, like their snacks ;) But know it is all done, it wasn't to bad , think it actually went pretty smoothly. Now just hoping that the people at USPS do their job right and they get there all alive. Went from NJ to Colorado, long trek!
Wish them luck :)

Chalk, are you exchanging the Blues for the Chuckoo's and Molted? Are they old enough now to tell how many pullets and Cockrell's you have?
Just sold some of my extra's. Just hatched to many! But grateful, Now I can really only keep the best of the best and cull the rest. By fall should have a few nice breeding pens going.

Just shipped my first batch of juveniles Breda's ! Was nerve racking ha ha
Worried about getting the shipping labels right, putting in the right wieght, not mesing up on the address etc. not to talk about figuring out putting the boxes together! Oh my
Hadn't slept right all nigh last night, kept just worrying about if i would do it right and not forget something, like their snacks
wink.png
But know it is all done, it wasn't to bad , think it actually went pretty smoothly. Now just hoping that the people at USPS do their job right and they get there all alive. Went from NJ to Colorado, long trek!
Wish them luck
smile.png

They should do fine as long as you and the recipient track the USPS shipment. My breeder was in VT and shipped juvies to me in SoCal and the shipment arrived overnight. It's funny that FedEx doesn't take bird shipments yet the USPS uses FedEx flights to expedite shipping live birds - go figure? The breeder shipped from VT before 3 p.m. her time and my birds arrived overnight by 8 a.m. to my local post office. I did have to call the P.O. to make sure the mailman didn't drive around with them in his mail truck all day! Had one stupid mailman that tried to do that even though USPS policy is to call customers for live bird pickup!!!!

Sylvester 017, I do hope so!
Wish they would be able to go on FedEx. Get a big discount with them thru my work. But even more than that, they usually are so much quicker and more trackable (I know that is not a word but sounds good ;)
UPSP, only update like twice a day if your lucky. Shipped eggs many times that 2 days later it will say left the local facility and in meantime was already delivered.
Like now, last update, it says left Philadelphia, assuming on the flight, yesterday at 3:45. Should be at recipients local office by now and be able to be picked up. But how would they know?!?! Grrrr Left phone number on box, so hopefully they get called. See here I go again, worried mother about the babies ha ha. Who would know as an outsider, how attached you can get to chickens?!?!? :)

Sylvester 017, I do hope so!
Wish they would be able to go on FedEx. Get a big discount with them thru my work. But even more than that, they usually are so much quicker and more trackable (I know that is not a word but sounds good
wink.png

UPSP, only update like twice a day if your lucky. Shipped eggs many times that 2 days later it will say left the local facility and in meantime was already delivered.
Like now, last update, it says left Philadelphia, assuming on the flight, yesterday at 3:45. Should be at recipients local office by now and be able to be picked up. But how would they know?!?! Grrrr Left phone number on box, so hopefully they get called. See here I go again, worried mother about the babies ha ha. Who would know as an outsider, how attached you can get to chickens?!?!?
smile.png

With my East Coast breeder she and I BOTH kept track of USPS and at my end I took 3 days catching every mailman on my route to let them know to call me if the live birds showed up at the P.O. and NOT to carry them around in the mailtruck all day! They are supposed to call customer for live bird pickup. In my second shipment I told the breeder to very neatly and LARGE lettering to pen FOR CUSTOMER PICKUP ONLY CALL 000-000-0000 on the outside of the box. She had penned the phone number small on the first shipment and the stoooopid P.O. covered it up with the FedEx flight instruction paperwork - no wonder the USPS loses billions of $$$ every year with such lousy customer service! I'm a worrier also because I know there are a LOT of people in this world that just do their job without THINKING so I go the extra mile to make calls and catch all the mailmen.

Back
Top Bottom