Breda Fowl thread

Pics
Sorry I can't be of any help.
sad.png
And I'm also sorry you're having those problems! The only thing I can suggest, is getting some blukote, if you don't already have some, and spray it on her foot feathers. It keeps chickens from seeing the red blood and picking at it. I believe it also helps with healing.

I hope the breeders is sending you a new pullet free of charge. This isn't your fault. If you told them you needed them to wait until the Breda were old enough to sex they should have declined to sell you the pullet if they weren't situated with the pen space to hold on to the pullets until they were old enough to reliably sex.

Last year I had one lady who wanted Breda would only take pullets. She was ready to take stock right away but I told her I wouldn't guarantee any Breda pullets until they were at least 12 weeks old. She followed up with me every 3-4 weeks while I was growing out chicks asking if I had anything for her yet. She finally got her Breda Pullets, but not until they were over 12 weeks old.

If anyone is reliably sexing them at younger than 10 weeks I want to know what your trick is. :)

Our "Ilse" is now "Ichabod". His feet are wrapped in first-aid paper tape to keep him from pulling out his leg/toe quills. He bleeds all over the pen floor and the companion Ameraucana is drawn to the blood so we separated them. The tape worked on a Silkie who pulled out a toenail so we tried the same tape on the Breda and it works to keep him from cannibalizing himself yet he has total walking mobility!

He keeps wanting to mount the Ameraucana and flares his hackles at her so he's getting re-homed this weekend.

The breeder was baffled that this supposed "pullet" behaved very much like the hens, even sat on eggs, and was on the smaller side so he was shipped at 41/2 m/o. The breeder called him a "gender bender" whatever that is (?) and said to be sure not to use him for breeding and use him for the pot. Hey I'm glad he's going to a friend's home and not someone's dinner! He is curious, unafraid, non-aggressive to us humans, and let's us pick him up and hold him - those of you who have Breda know what I'm talking about! A great breed - but we can't use a horny bird and aren't zoned for crowing roos!

Well, mystery finally solved! Our Breda "pullet" got shipped to Florida and Florida's "cockerel" got shipped to us in California!
Breeder is shipping another pullet to us but at our shipping expense which sucks since we are also out $100's in vet bills for two birds that arrived in need of attention - but we really want the Breda pullet that we waited 6 months for!

Frankly Sylvester, I think it is incumbent on the breeder to make sure the birds they send have ZERO parasites or other obvious health issues. We aren't talking day olds here but birds that are probably close to POL (though I don't know if Breda are late bloomers in that respect). For what they charge for raising the birds to a sexable (or not in this case) age, the parasite issue should not even be in question.

And why not get another Breda pullet (from somewhere else)? Especially since you chose the breed specifically for its non aggressive characteristics to blend well with your other non aggressive birds. Integrating 1 into an unknown group surely isn't particularly different than integrating 2 that know each other into an unknown group. They have to figure out the pecking order regardless.

SO sorry this happened, I know you have been patiently anticipating this new bird for quite some time.

ETA - OOOOPPPPPSSSSS! Somehow missed the last page before I posted. Hopefully they took care of any parasite issues this time but I'm not holding my breath. AND you shouldn't have to pay ANYTHING AT ALL since THEY screwed up. I personally would not do business with them again if I were in your shoes. And should I ever decide to get any Breda's I will PM you to find out who NOT to get them from. That breeder has lack of quality and business ethics written all over them.

Last edited:
Frankly Sylvester, I think it is incumbent on the breeder to make sure the birds they send have ZERO parasites or other obvious health issues. We aren't talking day olds here but birds that are probably close to POL (though I don't know if Breda are late bloomers in that respect). For what they charge for raising the birds to a sexable (or not in this case) age, the parasite issue should not even be in question.

And why not get another Breda pullet (from somewhere else)? Especially since you chose the breed specifically for its non aggressive characteristics to blend well with your other non aggressive birds. Integrating 1 into an unknown group surely isn't particularly different than integrating 2 that know each other into an unknown group. They have to figure out the pecking order regardless.

SO sorry this happened, I know you have been patiently anticipating this new bird for quite some time.

ETA - OOOOPPPPPSSSSS! Somehow missed the last page before I posted. Hopefully they took care of any parasite issues this time but I'm not holding my breath. AND you shouldn't have to pay ANYTHING AT ALL since THEY screwed up. I personally would not do business with them again if I were in your shoes. And should I ever decide to get any Breda's I will PM you to find out who NOT to get them from. That breeder has lack of quality and business ethics written all over them.

Hi bruceha2000 - No argument and totally agreed on all your points! But I want my pullet and at least I was reimbursed the cost of the cockerel (but not the shipping or vet bills). I'll have to pay shipping for the 2nd bird.

Yeah, it sucks but the new bird was raised in the same pen with our current Blue Amer (they were the 2 breeds in varieties that I wanted & this breeder happened to raise both) so maybe the pullets will recognize each other and are similar in age. Breda are fairly mellow and Amer are non-combative so even if there's no recognition they'll still be juvies/compatible enough to get to know each other again before I put them in the flock.

I take all new birds to my vet for exams and when this new one arrives will be examined immediately with a fecal sample for tests. Pretty sure I know in advance what the outcome will be. The breeder does the "natural" approach for treating birds and I'm sorry but there are times when actual medicine is necessary! I'll probably be nursing and nourishing the new bird back to top health too. If it was a nasty breed I wouldn't bother but these are a great temperament breed. The boy is lovely too but can't keep him.

I'm waiting on replacement parts for our new coop and by the time it arrives I'll put the new girls in the new coop first to claim territory so the old birds don't chase them around the old coop - not likely that will happen but it will be nice for the new girls to be adjusted to each other before facing the established flock.

Thanks for your concerns and no, I won't be getting birds for a while. I try two rare gentle-breed pullets about every 2-3 years for eggs for the two of us while the older girls slow down laying (but still give an egg or two every week). The old girls are still good for fertilizer, bug control, predator alerts and comedy! Having gentle breeds makes it easier to keep more hens than if we had the common layer, dual-purpose, heavier or larger combative breeds. Nothing wrong with them but we choose not to have them in our smaller backyard.

Yes Dutchy I have a large batches coming up in all mottled..... can't wait to see the results. Thank you so much for some great birds
droolin.gif

I should have two complete breeding pens running by spring. Once they start breeding I will begin work on the egg color which is my only minor issue with them (off white). Otherwise they are perfect! Heavier in body, longer vulture hocks, better crowns, no sprigs, better temperaments, and nicer foot feathering than the Blues. The only thing the Blue have on them is the snow white eggs. The cuckoo also have a bit of a creamy egg. It is almost white but not quite. They are the tallest birds!! Temperament closer to the Blues, but still heavier, with better conformation, especially in the head feathering. Also have Cuckoo everywhere
celebrate.gif

Christine PS: sorry I moved from CHALK to RFR of CA in here and forgot to announce. RFR (Rare Feathers Ranch)

These are all mottleds. The ones with white dots on their heads are going to look like my first. Sorry you lost yours. PM me if you would like a few back.

Back
Top Bottom