Breda Fowl thread

Thank you! That hen is stunning; I love all the white on her. And come to think of it, a white Breda would be beautiful! Somebody should get on that.
I have a white breda. Had several others but only have one hen left now.
Sad day here! A few minutes ago, Pegs my disabled rooster died in my arms.
He lived a short but hopefully happy life here - he will be missed :(
I am so sorry. It's so easy to become attached to those special babies. I just told someone yesterday the day my One Wing dies is going to be like loosing a child.
On the note of Bredas the girls are laying really well right now. However fertility has taken a little dip for some reason. Not sure what that is about. I was at a major yearly event this weekend and a person who had bought a single Breda chick says they want to buy a bunch more. Guess that little girl won their hearts over.
I'm slowly getting my birds together to work on the Bredas and strengthen the genetics. I know it's going to be a somewhat long journey but I'm pretty excited about doing it. The biggest problem with this venture is that the breeds used are on the endangered or critical list so at the same time I want to raise and work on them. I swear I will never be able to reduce my numbers at this rate!

I have a white breda. Had several others but only have one hen left now.

I am so sorry. It's so easy to become attached to those special babies. I just told someone yesterday the day my One Wing dies is going to be like loosing a child.
On the note of Bredas the girls are laying really well right now. However fertility has taken a little dip for some reason. Not sure what that is about. I was at a major yearly event this weekend and a person who had bought a single Breda chick says they want to buy a bunch more. Guess that little girl won their hearts over.
I'm slowly getting my birds together to work on the Bredas and strengthen the genetics. I know it's going to be a somewhat long journey but I'm pretty excited about doing it. The biggest problem with this venture is that the breeds used are on the endangered or critical list so at the same time I want to raise and work on them. I swear I will never be able to reduce my numbers at this rate!
Thanks, yes it was harder than I thought.. you got Crevecouer right? Let me know how they work out, I might be interested :)

Getting the Crevacour next week and then more of them in
April. They are very difficult to find. I wish someone would build me a new poultry building. My current one is 30 X 70 and not nearly big enough. I need another one at least double that size! I thought I would never outgrow one that large but it happened way too quickly.

Well now I have my LaFleche, Crevecoeur, and Sultans to work on my Bredas with. Unfortunately they are all still babies. The worst were the Crevecoeur. So very many losses regardless of what I did. Thank goodness I bought extra. I'm going to change out one of the Breda roosters as well. I think one splash boy I have is contributing to less than vigorous chicks. I have a young blue male that seems to be doing really well I may put in soon. I've got to study the genetics a little to see what I can do to get rid of beards in the sultans and crevecoeur.
I got a trio of LaFleche adults as well but not a fertile egg so far. The rooster is much older so I think he is probably too old to breed. But the first eggs they laid should have still been fertilized by the younger rooster and they weren't fertile either. I'm working on making sure they are parasite free and giving them a boost of vitamins as well.

Well now I have my LaFleche, Crevecoeur, and Sultans to work on my Bredas with. Unfortunately they are all still babies. The worst were the Crevecoeur. So very many losses regardless of what I did. Thank goodness I bought extra. I'm going to change out one of the Breda roosters as well. I think one splash boy I have is contributing to less than vigorous chicks. I have a young blue male that seems to be doing really well I may put in soon. I've got to study the genetics a little to see what I can do to get rid of beards in the sultans and crevecoeur.
I got a trio of LaFleche adults as well but not a fertile egg so far. The rooster is much older so I think he is probably too old to breed. But the first eggs they laid should have still been fertilized by the younger rooster and they weren't fertile either. I'm working on making sure they are parasite free and giving them a boost of vitamins as well.
How old before roos are too old to breed?
I ask b/c I have some mottled Breda eggs hatching and one is gold colored. My D'Uccle roo hangs out with them all the time and he is getting on a bit now...
Good luck with your project. There were some Creves on rare auctions couple of days ago - sold for about $15/each

Greenfire imported in some Crevs recently but the problem is they are BBS. What makes Crevs so unique is that they are an all black bird. When you go to the BBS lines like Greenfire brought in they just look like a polish to me.
As far as age of roos who are too old it depends on the roo. I have some 7 year old roos who are still very fertile, yet I have had a 3 year old that lost his fertility. Sounds like your little d'uccle is still fertile!!! I had a little Olansk Dwarf that would mount the big Orpington girls and he never even got close to anything but the middle of their back, yet somehow when he would slide off he managed to fertilize their eggs.

Back
Top Bottom