Breda Fowl thread

Oh I see, I guess they weren't nonexistent then, lol. I take it you just meant nonexistant in the US. I love their little crests, so different from other crested chickens.

Ok these birds are AMAZING !
love.gif

How are they in regards to laying and so forth?

I am not real sure about how well they lay as mine have not started to lay. Maybe we can get Greenfire to give us some info on that. One thing I have really enjoyed about them are there huge vulture hocks. I am always stressed about vulture hocks in my Brahma it is a joy for me to have a bird that is supposed to have vulture hocks. They have vulture hocks to die for!

Not very good pics but I now have 5 breda chicks. I guess three blue and two black. Surrogate mom killed one before I could stop her. The colors are way off. I will take some more this week in natural light. I got these quite by chance and thought it odd that when I searched to find a thread on this breed I found where I had posted before. Odd that I wound up getting some of these.

Here are some pics of my Breda's (or Kraaikoppen as we call them in The Netherlands). They're from the new colour black mottled and I've bought them this year. Though familiair with the breed I never had any beore, but I just fell in love with this colour. One of the well known breeders had to cut down and as a member of the breed club I could get his own last breeding trio and a young rooster. A great opportunity and I would be a fool to say no (but had to get rid of the Marans unfortunately). According to him this is as good as they come here in The Netherlands (pehaps he was a little bit subjective, but why doubt him?). So I look forward to a nice breeding season with a lot of chicks!
Compared to my Brabanters they're quite majestic in their movements, relaxed (but alert) and not so very clever. But they do well together and I can have the two rooster together with the flock. So that's a nice temperament too (can do that with my Brabanters too, but never with the Marans). I've got them one month and I'm still sort of "in love" with them.

Back
Top Bottom