Breed and Gender please (Ginger) - Possibly a Rhode Island or Red Sex Link Hen with RIR or Blue Plymouth Rock Rooster

I have never heard of the Millie Fleur D’Uccles.
They're cute little bantams.

The breed is called d'Uccle, named for the town of Uccle in Belgium, where they originated. The breed comes in several different color varieties.

"Mille Fleur" is French for "thousand flowers," obviously referring to all the little white and black dots. Mille Fleur varieties exist in a few other breeds as well.

The chick has some white feathers in its wings, and will have some white feathers in the tail when it grows up. It has at least one parent with those traits. From your list, that should be a Red Sexlink mother.

Either rooster could have been the father.

I think it looks male because of the comb & wattles, but I would let it grow some more to be sure.
4C3D4507-06F0-4AC2-80A9-8C901286D17B.jpeg

ECAF7897-ED94-4494-85E1-96851AC84B6B.jpeg
007BEB0C-6BC1-420E-8212-3AD44AB537FD.jpeg
2CC9E5DF-07C9-4BC9-A712-F5E2B6BDDAB3.jpeg
D34067E8-ADCF-48A9-8AEB-D38EE42DA481.jpeg

This chick hatched Valentine's Day, 2/14/2023, so it's not quite 4 weeks old.
Not quite sure if it hatched from a RIR or Red Sex Link egg.
At the time the eggs were incubated, there were two roosters on the farm. One was a RIR and the other was a Blue Plymouth Rock. The Blue Plymouth Rock was young, approximately 4-5 months old and was only there for approximately one month.
Best guess to the breed and gender of this chick?
If more pics are needed, please let me know what would be the best angle.
UPDATE: This one is now 14-weeks old, and is still NOT crowing. I know the biggest mistake is thinking you have a Roo, getting rid of it, and then finding out it was actually a hen.
My neighbors have RIRs that are one week older then mine and they've been crowing for 3-weeks now. I don't want to get my hopes up but all feathering signals a rooster. Why isn't she/he crowing? Thoughts?

Does anyone have Red Sex Links like this one that can confirm whether or not Ginger is a pullet or Cockerel?

One was a RIR and the other was a Blue Plymouth Rock. The Blue Plymouth Rock was young, approximately 4-5 months old and was only there for approximately one month.
Best guess to the breed and gender of this chick?
Red cross to black or blue will equal black or blue chicks according to my understanding/experience.

The Blue PR isn't a rock at all either.. but another hybrid. So could he have been blue on the surface and have a red or gold hidden under neath in the genes.. that part I don't know.

UPDATE: This one is now 14-weeks old, and is still NOT crowing. I know the biggest mistake is thinking you have a Roo, getting rid of it, and then finding out it was actually a hen.
I was wondering if there was an update.. He has pointed saddle feathers and I can confirm cockerel.

1684675798684.png

1684675818497.png

View attachment 3513313

View attachment 3513314View attachment 3513315View attachment 3513316View attachment 3513317

My neighbors have RIRs that are one week older then mine and they've been crowing for 3-weeks now. I don't want to get my hopes up but all feathering signals a rooster. Why isn't she/he crowing? Thoughts?

Does anyone have Red Sex Links like this one that can confirm whether or not Ginger is a pullet or Cockerel?
Do you have another rooster?? If another rooster is dominant, sometimes "lower," roos don't crow ~ because it can be seen as a challenge.

UPDATE: This one is now 14-weeks old, and is still NOT crowing....My neighbors have RIRs that are one week older then mine and they've been crowing for 3-weeks now. I don't want to get my hopes up but all feathering signals a rooster. Why isn't she/he crowing? Thoughts?
I think it probably is a male.

It is common for some to crow at different ages than others. He might be slower to mature, or he might be intimidated by some of your hens or by the cockerels he hears from the neighbors.

Or he might be crowing but you don't realize it. Sometimes individual cockerels or roosters sound different from each other, but sometimes there are several who sound alike, which can make it hard to tell who is crowing when (except when you are staring right at one of them.)

I think it probably is a male.

It is common for some to crow at different ages than others. He might be slower to mature, or he might be intimidated by some of your hens or by the cockerels he hears from the neighbors.

Or he might be crowing but you don't realize it. Sometimes individual cockerels or roosters sound different from each other, but sometimes there are several who sound alike, which can make it hard to tell who is crowing when (except when you are staring right at one of them.)
My husband, retired, sits outside about 80% of the time watching the chickens when he's not doing yardwork. Our favorite past-time is watching chickens. If he/she is crowing, I cannot believe we wouldn't have heard it. We've got mixed emotions on this one. We will just have to wait until she/he lays an egg or crows! I really hope she lays an egg. :)

My husband, retired, sits outside about 80% of the time watching the chickens when he's not doing yardwork. Our favorite past-time is watching chickens. If he/she is crowing, I cannot believe we wouldn't have heard it.
In that case, you might be right that he/she is not crowing. Most flocks do not have someone paying that much attention, for that many hours.

Back
Top Bottom