Breed and Gender please (Ginger) - Possibly a Rhode Island or Red Sex Link Hen with RIR or Blue Plymouth Rock Rooster

View attachment 3513313

View attachment 3513314View attachment 3513315View attachment 3513316View attachment 3513317

UPDATE: This one is now 14-weeks old, and is still NOT crowing. I know the biggest mistake is thinking you have a Roo, getting rid of it, and then finding out it was actually a hen.
My neighbors have RIRs that are one week older then mine and they've been crowing for 3-weeks now. I don't want to get my hopes up but all feathering signals a rooster. Why isn't she/he crowing? Thoughts?

Does anyone have Red Sex Links like this one that can confirm whether or not Ginger is a pullet or Cockerel?
It might take time for it to crow. Mine was four months and started crowing this past weekend hatched last week of January was a barred rock mix he has since been re-homed because I couldnt keep two roosters. Maybe yours is a late bloomer?

Attachments

• 052F4129-D416-4BC0-AEEE-23668C40B8BA.jpeg
    052F4129-D416-4BC0-AEEE-23668C40B8BA.jpeg
    976.1 KB · Views: 3
In that case, you might be right that he/she is not crowing. Most flocks do not have someone paying that much attention, for that many hours.
Our flock is very spoiled. LOL We live on less than .25 acre, so they are literally in our backyard. Not only is hubby retired, we are usually sitting on the back porch or in the yard as soon as I get off work. It's a simple life.

It might take time for it to crow. Mine was four months and started crowing this past weekend hatched last week of January was a barred rock mix he has since been re-homed because I couldnt keep two roosters. Maybe yours is a late bloomer?
Yes, I've been afraid he/she might be a late bloomer. It's that we cannot keep a rooster, we don't want to keep a rooster. So, if she turns out to be a he, we will have to either rehome or put him in the freezer. I would prefer to rehome, of possible.

UPDATE: Ginger is still named Ginger; however, she... or he is a ROO! Wow, calling her "him" has been hard to do, but he just began crowing last week, 17-weeks to the day! He was 18-weeks on Tuesday. He's a good Roo. Him learning how to be a Roo has been interesting to watch. And, seeing how the other girls take to him has been funny. He's got one girlfriend. He got her last week. She was 17-weeks and her comb (Easter Egger) is red as fire. I'm sure she's about to start laying. I can't wait to see what color egg she produces. Anyway, he's been after a couple other girls, but they aren't having it. It's quite comical.

UPDATE: Ginger is still named Ginger; however, she... or he is a ROO! Wow, calling her "him" has been hard to do, but he just began crowing last week, 17-weeks to the day! He was 18-weeks on Tuesday. He's a good Roo. Him learning how to be a Roo has been interesting to watch. And, seeing how the other girls take to him has been funny. He's got one girlfriend. He got her last week. She was 17-weeks and her comb (Easter Egger) is red as fire. I'm sure she's about to start laying. I can't wait to see what color egg she produces. Anyway, he's been after a couple other girls, but they aren't having it. It's quite comical.
Thanks for updating!

It's nice to know for sure what the correct answer was (male, but late to start crowing.)

Thanks for updating!

It's nice to know for sure what the correct answer was (male, but late to start crowing.)
You are very welcome. I agree. Sometimes I need help and I find a post that has the right question, but there's not a follow up to it that provides the conclusion or solution. I'm trying to update all of my posts this week. The rest of my flock all turned out to be pullets. Hopefully, they will begin laying within the next few weeks. I'm so excited.

Back
Top Bottom