Breed Gender black/grey chick, legs grey lateral feathers?

yolkoroo

Songster
10 Years
May 4, 2011
Can I get help identifying breed/gender of last unidentified rescue chick? Black, grey with patterned wings/back, lateral feathers (?) that looks stubbly on grey legs, with a single pink tipped toe on each foot...no extra toes.
blkchickfrontgoodfacefeet-1.jpg

blkchicktopside.jpg

blkchickface-1.jpg

blkchicksideshowfeatherslateralsidelegs-1.jpg

THANKS SO MUCH!!!

I'm thinking Black Australope.

But like I said... I'm Thinking!
lau.gif

Edited to say:

See I told you, I was thinking. I re-read your post and saw there are leg feathers. Just smack me!
smack.gif

NOT a BA.

Last edited:
Feathered shanks, especially down the outside like that, make me think Marans. Maybe a Black Copper Marans? They lay incredibly beautiful dark brown eggs, and the French Marans seem pretty sought after.

Quote:
Okay, I did think the Australope had a clean leg but didn't know if this would change as it grew...

Quote:
...so I am thinking Maran as others have suggested now. At least it looks more like the Maran chicks than the other breeds I have been clicking on at random because I don't have enough experience to even eliminate options. ANY THOUGHTS ON GENDER?

Thank you, that is very encouraging. I already have a Speckled Sussex Roo that is acting out a bit, so another Roo (should I not be able to find suitable homes) would be unhealthy.

Back
Top Bottom