Breed / Gender ID - 1st graders hatched them!

Dotty and Sunny are doing some serious sparring. They keep trying to Peck at each others necks behind the head. It'll be interesting to see who comes out on top! I *know*it's what they do, but it's hard to watch!

Dotty and Sunny are doing some serious sparring. They keep trying to Peck at each others necks behind the head. It'll be interesting to see who comes out on top! I *know*it's what they do, but it's hard to watch!

You should see mine, they all play leap frog with each other when they try to jump on either of them and they stretch their necks as high as they can to intimidate the other and then try to pounce again. I've also seen them poke at each other's beaks/heads but I haven't seen them go at their neck before

Blondie and lightning could be orpingtons, Dotty and stripey could be wyandottes, Potter is probably a cochin. I can't really tell what kind of comb sunny has too take a guess. Those are my guesses.

Referencing McMurray's egg assortment possible breed list. Dotty and Stripy are Silver Laced Wyandottes. Harry Potter is a Light Brahma. Blondie is a Buff Orpington or maybe a New Hampshire Red. Sunny is Columbian Wyandotte. Lightning is most likely an Australorp but they only list blacks and it looks blue.

Referencing McMurray's egg assortment possible breed list. Dotty and Stripy are Silver Laced Wyandottes. Harry Potter is a Light Brahma. Blondie is a Buff Orpington or maybe a New Hampshire Red. Sunny is Columbian Wyandotte.  Lightning is most likely an Australorp but they only list blacks and it looks blue.

I wasn't too far off! Harry Potter I was unsure of, and lightning is a puzzle. Lighting feathered very quickly, much faster than the rest. And has had pure white feathers coming in. Unfortunately, also seems to have color coming in on the wattles and comb already :(

If it's true that any color in comb/wattle at this age = roo then I'm afraid HP and Stripey are my only girls.

Dotty has angry red wattles, and also seems to be establishing himself as top of order. If Stripey and Dotty are same breed, then their babies would also be SLW?

Last edited:
Could Lightning be an Andalusian? Got feathers really fast.

Now its making sence. With the white coming in and the dark legs. I'm sure you've got a white jersey giant.

Interesting! Would they be fast feathering, whether pullet or Cockrell? I'm trying to not read too much into comb Color at this point because I swear they all look different in different light and I want to pretend I don't have 4 roos :D

Back
Top Bottom