Breed / Gender ID - 1st graders hatched them!

5Gr8tKids

Chirping
5 Years
May 30, 2015
We have adopted 6 chicks that were hatched by some local 1st graders. We've been having fun trying to guess breed/gender, but as first time chicken keepers we really have no idea :D

What do you think?? All were hatched from Murray McMurray eggs. Thanks!

I am guessing that Sunny is a boy. It's comb is very wide and full looking. Potter looks like it will be awesome.... maybe a girl? Sorry I'm not more helpful. Two weeks ago I got my first batch of chickens and I'll soon be playing the same guessing game you are.

Thanks! We have no idea what breed they are, the school just ordered an egg assortment. I thought Dotty and Stripey were the same breed (and appear to be a roo Dotty and hopefully a hen stripey) but now I'm not sure because their combs don't look to be the same type!? Sunny does have a wide comb, and I'm thinking boy. Slow to feather and was the original 'bully' of the bunch. Any thoughts on breeds? I'll add some hatchling pictures if that helps.
I have no idea on breed but they are adorable! And they could still be the same breed like in Easter Eggers males have 3 comb and females have a single comb, you may have to play the waiting game for now. I've been playing that game for a couple weeks now on one I'm suspicious of being a male :lau (mine are 5 weeks old right now)

I'm sorry if I confused you. I meant that Dotty had a larger comb than the other chicks. All of your chicks appear to have single combs except for Sunny. Dotty and maybe Stripey appear to be silver-laced( maybe silver penciled for Stripey).

Dotty and Sunny are doing some serious sparring. They keep trying to Peck at each others necks behind the head. It'll be interesting to see who comes out on top! I *know*it's what they do, but it's hard to watch!

You should see mine, they all play leap frog with each other when they try to jump on either of them and they stretch their necks as high as they can to intimidate the other and then try to pounce again. I've also seen them poke at each other's beaks/heads but I haven't seen them go at their neck before

Blondie and lightning could be orpingtons, Dotty and stripey could be wyandottes, Potter is probably a cochin. I can't really tell what kind of comb sunny has too take a guess. Those are my guesses.

Referencing McMurray's egg assortment possible breed list. Dotty and Stripy are Silver Laced Wyandottes. Harry Potter is a Light Brahma. Blondie is a Buff Orpington or maybe a New Hampshire Red. Sunny is Columbian Wyandotte. Lightning is most likely an Australorp but they only list blacks and it looks blue.

I think you may be right! I had someone suggest that Blondie may be a "she" so I'm hopeful :) Thankfully, I have 6 "pullets" that appear to all be girls. I'm still not sure about 4 roosters, but at least I'm in the country and can keep them if they get a long and I want to.

Of course! I know some people say that the vent sexing is dangerous, but I think it really depends on how you do it. The lady who showed us truly cared about the chicks and was very gentle. It is perfectly fine just watching them grow as well and having it kind of be a surprise. We have done that and it is lots of fun!

Back
Top Bottom