Breed guesses?

mlcrowley

Songster
6 Years
Feb 27, 2017
We got these ladies from a guy that couldn't remember what breeds they all are. We've made our guesses based on some really in depth research (Google chicken pictures), but I'm really interested to see what you guys think. The first pic is Ethel and Vesta (Ethel in front, Vesta behind her). Second pic from left to right is Roz, Lucy, and Maevis. Third pic is Merlin. Both Vesta and Maevis have the cheek puffs going on. All have tails.

Ethel is a Barred Rock and Vesta is a beautiful Easter Egger. Roz is a Red Sex Link. Lucy looks like she is a Rhode Island Red. And Maevis is an Easter Egger too. I'm not sure on Merlin, I'm not good with roosters. :lol:

Yay! Thank you all for the responses. That's exactly what we thought for Ethel (she was the easy one), and for the EE's. We couldn't decide on Roz, but Red Sex Link was our closest guess. As for Lucy, we were guessing RIR, but I hadn't heard of Production Red, what are the differences? I'll have to get a better picture of Vesta, you can hardly see her in the one above, she really is gorgeous.

Thanks again!!
Production Reds are generic red birds that don't really meet the breed standard for Rhode Island Reds. Most hatchery sourced Rhode Island Reds are really Production Reds.

Yay! Thank you all for the responses. That's exactly what we thought for Ethel (she was the easy one), and for the EE's. We couldn't decide on Roz, but Red Sex Link was our closest guess. As for Lucy, we were guessing RIR, but I hadn't heard of Production Red, what are the differences? I'll have to get a better picture of Vesta, you can hardly see her in the one above, she really is gorgeous.

Thanks again!!

Back
Top Bottom