What in the world is this? You never know what you're going to get at RK!

WhistlePig

Chirping
Jan 14, 2023
I went to Rural King here in Central KY and picked up some chicks, only to find that they were not what I thought I was getting. Does this sound familiar? I need help identifyng all 4 of these babies.

I'm actually somewhat pleased as these look so interesting. These first 2 pics are from the "English Orpington/Starlight Green Egger" bin.

The third and 4th are from the Americauna bin. The last one is CRAZY. It has 5 toes, black feet, crazy coloration and fluff on the forehead sort of like an Appenzellar Spitzhauben bit it isn't any of the 5 breeds that have 5 toes.

I did really want some more EEs, which is what those "Ameraucana" bins are actually full of ;) I should have looked closer for those adorable fluffy cheeks before buying! Never trust this RK to label them right... maybe it's the hatchery, who knows! I believe they are from Hoover Hatchery for reference.

Attachments

• DSC07142.JPG
    DSC07142.JPG
    217.5 KB · Views: 86
  • DSC07140.JPG
    DSC07140.JPG
    226.8 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC07131.JPG
    DSC07131.JPG
    210.3 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC07145.JPG
    DSC07145.JPG
    230.8 KB · Views: 35
I went to Rural King here in Central KY and picked up some chicks, only to find that they were not what I thought I was getting. Does this sound familiar? I need help identifyng all 4 of these babies.

I'm actually somewhat pleased as these look so interesting. These first 2 pics are from the "English Orpington/Starlight Green Egger" bin.

The third and 4th are from the Americauna bin. The last one is CRAZY. It has 5 toes, black feet, crazy coloration and fluff on the forehead sort of like an Appenzellar Spitzhauben bit it isn't any of the 5 breeds that have 5 toes.

I did really want some more EEs, which is what those "Ameraucana" bins are actually full of ;) I should have looked closer for those adorable fluffy cheeks before buying! Never trust this RK to label them right... maybe it's the hatchery, who knows! I believe they are from Hoover Hatchery for reference.
Wow, lucky!
The first one's coloring looks like it could be a golden campine. I don't know much else that has those facial markings. Definitely not an English Orpington or starlight egger, lol.
Second chick looks like it could be a starlight green egger. That's just an EE mix so they can vary looks-wise.
Third looks like a Partridge rock.
Fourth looks like one of those "midnight majesty marans". They're also a mix so can vary. But the extra toes and crest point to that.

A very interesting bunch! They're going to be some great eye candy in a couple months.

Hmmmm... Central KY Rural King. Would it happen to be in Glasgow? That's the one I always go to. My chickens have all grown to be beautiful birds, but Hoover is terrible at sexing chicks! I've ended up with one to two roos per batch of chicks. We actually have built a coop JUST for the roos, because we have so many! I was a suckered and got two mystery chicks out of the "Hatchery Choice Rare" bin. I'm pretty positive they aren't on the list of breeds supposedly in that bin... 🤷🏼‍♀️ Just have to wait and see what I picked! 😂
I hope your mystery chicks turn out to be awesome!

First and last ones look like EE. mine looked just like them.

Back
Top Bottom